Jaguar_5's 87 Turbo Build

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Time for the first videos!!

Excuse the black and white, my camera is messed up it's the only way I can record a video

Cold start (well, right after the start)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0l6ebvUnI

And some part throttle runs in traffic (joy!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L5_wM29eY

Not that interesting but they're better than nothing!

Don't mind the messed up windshield wiper either, it works but for some reason the rest position is opposite of where it should be :aigo:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Car sounds great man!

Is that the ddp opening up on the drive down the road? Hard to hear.

Keep it up man, hopefully i can make it out to the coast so we can have a tuning session and really get that thing going. Good work man its nice to see you finally enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle

It sounds much better in person, you can hear the turbo spool and whirr before I reach positive pressure, It makes me all giddy :D I've only hit 5 psi, (not like I'm trying to hit more) purely from the wastegate, and I'm sure the stock cat is helping keep the boost down ;)

Yeah the ddp does briefly open in that vid, the sound quality sucks on this camera

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Thanks Ian, I couldn't have done it without all your help over the years, but no, It's not shy of 2 years, it's more than :biglaugh:

Still trying to tackle the tune, my log from my first emissions test shows like 130 deg F intake temps, so I wasn't fully warmed up from what I've seen the IAT at, I'm sure the cat wasn't hot enough, and my VF was at 0 90% of the time, wbo2 reading around 12.5, so that would definitely explain the excess HC and CO!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
My timing, my tune, and I went for a 25 minute drive on the freeway first to get the cat nice and hot, which I didn't last time - IAT's were around 165, the first test they were around 130 (*F)

My CPS was off by 180* and I could only get as high as 5* so that's about what I was running last time, and my tune was rich! I was at about 12.5 afr's, VF was at 0 so Maft and ECU were fighting eachother

This time i was right around stoich the whole time and 2.5 to 3.75 VF

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Nice progress man, good to see your getting the hang of the Pro already. You planning on putting the car on the dyno anytime soon?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Nope, still need to brake the engine in! Only 200 miles on it at this point

Then I can install my boost controller, and have some fun :evil2: Only part throttle and minimum boost until then.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Figured I would update this thread - I have been driving quite a bit! She purrs - quite smooth, a bit of a misfire at idle occasionally but it's quite rare and I'm not really sure where to look - but It's pretty far down on my list!

I also have a bit of a clunk noise when I go over some small potholes, ridges in the road or such, I also have a very slight notchy feel just off center in my steering, but only when the car is quite hot? Thinking maybe balljoints for the clunk and steering rack bushings for the notchy feel

I have abit over 600 miles on the engine now, and I need to change from 30W to a 5w30 (dino oil) and replace my filter, not sure if I'll replace my trasko as well, I swapped the element out after the first 20 (which was probably more like 30 as my speedo cable was not properly connected)

Still ironing out the tune, but I'm getting close to thinking about using WOT and possibly PT Tracking, soon I can hook up my boost controller too :naughty: only 900 more miles to go lol

Does this idle look normal? Everything looks so unstable! Might just be the precision of the readings though?

I've also started to play with AIT compensation, I believe I'm suffering from some heatsoak since I recall seeing someone say they only read a max of 90* IAT's? I see as much as 133
I recently installed my head unit (with built in handsfree bluetooth... so nice!) so I can spend more time in the car without getting bored! Soon a small road trip is in order...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
With data logging a LOT depends on how high the sample rate is set to how smooth the graph will be.

A lot of the skips and misses on a graph can just be a mismatch between the sample rate and what it's logging so don't freak too much.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
That's what I figured, considering the idle is silky smooth and the graph isn't - I just like having my theories reinforced by experience :)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Here's a low load run

I don't like how much the ECU is chasing stoich under part throttle boost, is that how all CT's run with the stock ecu? Looking very forward to P/T tracking

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Your idle looks fine, but it does kind of look like you have a miss or something. Mine is a smooth 2.8v all the way across.

Your part throttle looks alright as well. When you do hit open loop the vf will drop to zero, from there i just pull values from the ve table for those areas to where its ~2.5 again. You'll notice a small spike in your graph on the change over once you start to adjust higher up on the table.