J&S Interceptor with AEM v.1 EMS

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I hope this is right section for my question. I am interested if anybody ever used or know somebody using J&S knock control device with stock ECU or any plug'n'play EMS.
I purchased J&S Interceptor and 7MGTE adapter, now can't start motor when Intercepter connected. I am running AEM EMS 30-1130 for 89+ Supra. Ignition system is stock + HKS DLI. J&S said it would not affect Intercepter opration. Below is diagram provided by J&S

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tried to check timing while cranking with timing light - spark present from all 3 coils, but it is difficult to catch exact timing on my damper. I am under impression timing is completely messed up (some cylinders too advanced or retarded), not just advanced or retarded equally for all cylinders. I tried to advance and retard timing in AEM 5, 10, 15 deg. to no avail. Motor just backfiring, making loud explosions in the exhaust.
Sent email to J&S and received reply:

Vlad:
The design was tested on an '87 Supra.
I made ten of them for Toyomoto, but he ended up buying only three. I sold off the rest one by one since then, have one left.
Haven't heard of any issues with them.
Found a post I made on supraforums.com about it:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...-S-Safeguard&p=1293265&viewfull=1#post1293265
I don't know if it will work with your plug and play ECU or the DLI. Maybe you should revert to stock and try the adapter with the Interceptor that way.

John

I never heard any bad thing about J&S, but seems I am out of luck. First idea which comes to my mind is faulty adapter. To test Intercepter I would have to install it on other car and test.

Any ideas?
Thanks