Ive just about had enough.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
I love my supra. but im getting sick of it.\

1989 turbo targa

bought it in 2007 for $1k. it was in terrible shape but ran pretty good. daily drove it for a year and then blew the headgasket. swapped a low mileage 7mgte in with arp headstuds and mhg for around 3k. added some minor mods like intake and exhaust. drove it for half a year with it always acting strange. hard to start when it was warm, random finicky things. and then i bought an rx7 which i daily drove. the supra went in to super long project mode where i completely redid the interior (check my brown to black interior thread). powder coated parts on the engine, basically cleaned it up. exhaust manifold was leaking so i helicoiled the head and put a new gasket in. Last thing was paint. which i finished last week.

put it back on the road today. i think it has rod knock:3d_frown:

if the motor was 100%, the car would be perfect. but i just have bad experience withthe 7m.

im tired of this thing sucking my money away. i keep telling myself i should have stopped before the last thing but i keep improving stuff!

should i sell? partout?

id really like to put a 1uz in it and leave the 7m behind... but i think a swap liek that might be over my head.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Sounds like you've got your mind made up. Do you want us to try and talk you out of it? Nobody said these cars were easy or cheap to maintain. It takes a certain level of lunacy to own, maintain and build an mk3 some *cough* duane *cough* just have it worse than others.

Step back take a minute and attack the problem like you should dont "think" it has rod knock, search here find info and use it, Its not always as bad as it seems.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
This points out the falacy of taking an old engine, and just throwing a head gasket in it........
I know many people have pointed out that not going completely through an engine, just fixing what is broke at the moment is wated $$.
That goes for ANY engine, not just the 7M......

So suck it up, and fix it right.
You evidentally like the car, and will like it a whole lot more once the engine is 100%.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
How bad do you love it? After all the trouble and time you've gone through it is still up to you to keep fixing it or not. If you have time and money then keep it. If it is not one of you priorities then part it out and try to make back most of what you have put into it. If you don't want to waste anymore money then let it go. Afterall its just a project, just another car. We're not here to talk to to keep it or letting it go, but here to help you choose whats best.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
i guess it becomes more of a "is it really worth it" thing. looking back at how much time and money i put into it, i should have just bought a 1jz:biglaugh:

we just did a photoshoot today. i will post up some pics later of the poopra once they are edited.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
this is what the devil looks like lol

p1469817_1.jpg

86.5 7MGE

Tuner In Progress
Sep 27, 2009
US
Wow!!! The devil looks pretty good. I give you props for time and money spent into it. Right now I'm about to do a BHG job still gathering parts. I completely refuse to sell or part out my car because of all the time and money I put into her everything I have did on her has been my money, time, blood, and sweat. So I just remind myself that 1 day I will have every part on this car brand new or close to it. And have less frequent problems.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
dude sounds like you got alot of time into it. you sell it now youll miss it and regret it i regret my first project car i sold i miss it still to this day. just personal exp

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
karlmk3;1469909 said:
dude sounds like you got alot of time into it. you sell it now youll miss it and regret it i regret my first project car i sold i miss it still to this day. just personal exp

i think your right. and i know my dad and uncles tell me about all the sweet muscle cars they used to own and how they wish they never sold them...

i wonder how pissed my kids will be when they find out i used to own a mk3 supra haha.

time for some engine diagnostics. gonna start with some sea foam since its been sitting so long.

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
do the rod knock diagnosis: run it just above idle so you can definitely hear the tap/knock...then have someone unplug the injector clips one at a time, one off - listen if it stops - back on - next off - listen if it stops - back on, etc etc.

i need to do this myself...but finding the time and someone to do this with - ugh...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Swapping a 1JZ or 2JZ with no rebuild isn't any better than a 7M. :nono:

If you want ANY, let me repeat that again, ANY used motor to last you a while, you need to check it out. That means checking bearing clearances, polishing crank, new bearings if necessary, new rings wouldn't hurt either. It's relatively cheap and its rather simple.

Dont give up on it, just nut up and do it right. ;)

You obviously care enough to take care of the aesthetics of the car, now put some effort into the mechanics and you'll have a great piece of machinery. :)

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Man you are lucky!!!!!! I didn't even drive mine for a week before i started having problems. Donn't sell it because you'll be bored without it and end up buying another one. A supra is a crap pipe you just can't put down.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
suprarx7nut;1470103 said:
Swapping a 1JZ or 2JZ with no rebuild isn't any better than a 7M. :nono:

If you want ANY, let me repeat that again, ANY used motor to last you a while, you need to check it out. That means checking bearing clearances, polishing crank, new bearings if necessary, new rings wouldn't hurt either. It's relatively cheap and its rather simple.

Dont give up on it, just nut up and do it right. ;)

You obviously care enough to take care of the aesthetics of the car, now put some effort into the mechanics and you'll have a great piece of machinery. :)

im tempted to build another motor for this the right way but im unsure of the difficulty of swapping a new one in. im careful in my work but i have a bad memory and remembering where all that wiring goes seems like a nightmare to me.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
supraGhost;1470148 said:
im tempted to build another motor for this the right way but im unsure of the difficulty of swapping a new one in. im careful in my work but i have a bad memory and remembering where all that wiring goes seems like a nightmare to me.

Ya, I know what you mean. Pictures are gold for that kind of thing.

The tsrm can really help too. In all honesty you just have to take your time and dig in. If you stay organized you should be fine.

Remember, you've got this place to help tell you where xxxxx goes. ;)