i've asked a few people before... boost gauge problems?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
alright, so what're a few possible causes of my boost gauge only showing vaccuum at idle and then zero when the ignition's on accessories, but when i take it up to five grand or so at a standstill, no boost shows?

i've heard my cat might be clogged, and i've heard i need a turbo rebuild. other than that i have no idea wtf could fix it.

Last edited:

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
87mgte said:
alright, so what're a few possible causes of my boost gauge only showing vaccuum at idle and then zero when the ignition's on accessories? i've heard my cat might be clogged, and i've heard i need a turbo rebuild. other than that i have no idea wtf could fix it.

This is normal behavior...nothing is wrong.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
johnathan1 said:
This is normal behavior...nothing is wrong.

awesome, i definitely don't feel like an idiot :sarcasm:. i forgot to add the actual problem part of the whole thing: 5k rpms and still no boost shows.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Follow the vacuum line from the boost sensor(?). (located on the driver's side next to the fender.) Follow it towards the firewall. It tees of in a couple places under the manifold, and then up closer to the firewall. Odds are, one of the hoses slipped off.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have missed the "standstill" reference.

Last edited:

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
To my elementary understanding of Turbos they don't like to build boost when freespinning the motor (standing still). A guy at college boosted his Honda (off topic I know) to like 18lbs. We wanted to hear his new BOV and when he pegged it out at redlike for like 5secs, we didn't even hear it. But when he takes off and shifts, we could hear it then.

So yeah, boost builds under loads. No not those! Engine loads :)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Dunckel said:
Follow the vacuum line from the boost sensor(?). (located on the driver's side next to the fender.) Follow it towards the firewall. It tees of in a couple places under the manifold, and then up closer to the firewall. Odds are, one of the hoses slipped off.

EDIT: Sorry, I must have missed the "standstill" reference.

lol this'll be fun. there's about a million things next to the driver's side fender and the firewall... ignitor chip, brake booster, TEMS shit, everything else... haha i'll figure it out.

you didn't miss the standstill part, i just edited it a few hours ago cuz i forgot to put in that whole part the first time i posted haha.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
BorHor said:
Sounds like it is working to me.. Then again I have no boost so what do i know.

edited the post, read again. haha i feel like a dumbass. i didn't even give any of the details of the problem in the first post.

hey man, what's the offset/width/specs on your wheels? they're incredible. i'm feelin the hundred bill you can fit in the lip of em haha

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
james_9876 said:
To my elementary understanding of Turbos they don't like to build boost when freespinning the motor (standing still). A guy at college boosted his Honda (off topic I know) to like 18lbs. We wanted to hear his new BOV and when he pegged it out at redlike for like 5secs, we didn't even hear it. But when he takes off and shifts, we could hear it then.

So yeah, boost builds under loads. No not those! Engine loads :)

well how the hell do people test their BOV's when they're just revving at a standstill then? that's weird. well i'll have to take it out for a fun run to check out my boost level then :naughty:
thanks a lot for the info. i only have a little knowledge of boost, so i'm right there with ya.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
GrimJack said:
Most standalone ECUs will allow you to build boost without moving, it's called a 2 step. Really useful for launching drag cars...

i've heard of 2 step, but people rev their cars in neutral all the time to hear their bov and whatnot. no real boost is required to "blow off" then, just pressure on the i/c piping?