It's here! Part Shop Max!

rwdanthony

Jan 8, 2011
San Diego
Alright guys, cat's out of the bag. Since about march of '11, i've been calculating and experimenting with different coilovers for the mkiii supra. reason for this: there's no coilover there that i was really happy with... stance coilovers clunks, teins were to high, ksports were to soft, Megan's didnt go low enough. any other coilover was pretty much just a restamped coilover or an alteration. So i took my numbers with dan, the shop owner. told him what was needed for it to bolt up, after the 2 months wait from japan, we got the first set done. everything bolted on like a glove. the only issue was that i couldn't go lower in the rear, the bottom mount and damper was too long. in order for me to go lower, was to remove collars or to remove the secondary top perch. i didnt want to remove the second perch though because that would defeat the purpose of the pillow ball mount. So with the rough start on this set, we made adjustments and made a new model...

the new coilovers utilizes shorter rear dampers and shorter bottom mounts so people can really slam their supras.
12 clicks of dampening adjustability
18kg F, and 12kg R spring rates.
the goal for these coilovers is to get lower than any other coilover can offer without harming the preload, and a dampening system with the correct valving and quality you can trust.

p1790931_1.jpg

p1790931_2.jpg

p1790931_3.jpg

p1790931_4.jpg

p1790931_5.jpg

p1790931_6.jpg

Now being this low brings upon other issues. like extremely bent up suspension arms, and for me, hitting my axles against my subframe.
As a result you can anticipate good parts coming in, such as adjustable suspension arms, sub frame riser bushings, and a steering knuckle mod.

*NOTE* I am in no way affiliated with Part Shop Max other than a customer, and friend. I am not advertising these for sale, and I am not selling them.

Last edited:

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Kai;1790993 said:
...i honestly don't know what people see in being 'slammed', just screws up the suspension setup and leads to a crap ride. Add stretched tyres to that, and you're not just an idiot, but a dangerous idiot. :nono:

Tell us how you really feel, Kai... lol

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
A product that has the (intended?) effect of causing bent suspension arms is, in my opinion, pretty damn poor - and for what purpose? Certainly not handling.

That is, after all, why coilovers exist - for handling. My HSD's are perfect. My car is already a little TOO low, if anything. Going any lower is risking damage, on all but the flattest of road surfaces. Central exhaust hanger is usually the first casualty - i should know, it's happened to me on a 1" speedbump. Personally speaking, if you're going to fit coilovers, you should do it because of the handling improvement they can give you, not because 'it's well low, innit bruv'.

Next thing you know we'll be doing cut springs and thinking stretched tyres are a good idea, like the Euro 'scene' ....

*grabs pipe, slippers and grumbles into his cocoa*

rwdanthony

Jan 8, 2011
San Diego
91 supra turbo;1790932 said:
Love those wheels!!
thanks.

hvyman;1790934 said:
Very sick. How much are those could could going to be?
1000 for a set.

IBoughtASupra;1790935 said:
Aren't those Powered By Max? I contacted them this week and they told me it won't be out for the next three months.
yes they are, and thats correct. they are only taking pre-orders right now, and expected to arrive by the end of march.

SupraRzTT;1790936 said:
should be priced the same as the other coilovers they sell, which is usually $1000shipped
correct.

oldsking;1790937 said:
hmmm they look nice! Yeah love the equips with the fatter barrels :)
the coilovers don't just look nice, they perform well.

Turbo Habanero;1790943 said:
Nice although I don't think I'd ever need to go that low.
. How high can they go ?
I can still raise my car another 2" and drop it another 1"

SupraRzTT;1790944 said:
What are the spring rates?
spring rates are 18kg/12kg.

PureDrifter;1790986 said:
thought PBM/PSM coils are usually in the 1100-1200 range? Or that might just be their VIP range coilovers. how's the ride? any shock dynos?
yeah thats probably for the pro competition coilovers or the vip ones. the ride is great.

rodama5anthony;1790987 said:
the look exactly like stance except more shiny lol +1 on spring rate?
stance are black and bronze. spring rates on the OP and in my above replies.

IBoughtASupra;1790989 said:
12/10 Spring Rate. If they are Powered By Maxx, that is what they told me when I E-Mailed him them this week.
its powered by max, single x. but it was 12kg/10kg. it felt perfect for the street, it was really comfortable, but after pushing it, the front tended to roll a bit, so we bumped it up to 18kg/12kg. Similar to the sc300/sc400/soarer/mkiv spring rates.

Kai;1790993 said:
...i honestly don't know what people see in being 'slammed', just screws up the suspension setup and leads to a crap ride. Add stretched tyres to that, and you're not just an idiot, but a dangerous idiot. :nono:

Kai;1791008 said:
A product that has the (intended?) effect of causing bent suspension arms is, in my opinion, pretty damn poor - and for what purpose? Certainly not handling.

That is, after all, why coilovers exist - for handling. My HSD's are perfect. My car is already a little TOO low, if anything. Going any lower is risking damage, on all but the flattest of road surfaces. Central exhaust hanger is usually the first casualty - i should know, it's happened to me on a 1" speedbump. Personally speaking, if you're going to fit coilovers, you should do it because of the handling improvement they can give you, not because 'it's well low, innit bruv'.

Next thing you know we'll be doing cut springs and thinking stretched tyres are a good idea, like the Euro 'scene' ....

*grabs pipe, slippers and grumbles into his cocoa*
i really dont want to get into the whole function over form, or form over function debate. Some people really just seek out style by sacrificing the optimal setup for the function they intend. Not everyone one of us intends to go pro. but yes, being slammed ruins the suspension. the ideal suspension layout would be having the control arms parallel with the ground. but if i wanted that, i could have just stuck with the teins, or some kind of spring and shock combo. for our chassis, its clearly impossible to have that kind of suspension at the ride height i'm going for because at stock ride height is where our arms are just above parallel to the ground. maybe a 1.5-2" drop would set it. if you also read my entire post, i specifically brought up those points in being this low. so its not like i am not well aware of it. i also stated i will be rising my subframe and having other control arms made. though the rising of the subframe doesnt completely compensate the degree of the bend up ams, it does help alot. Now if I REALLY wanted that kind of performance, i could have always stop dumping money on this boat of a car and picked up a nimble s2000, or a miata.

part shop max wasn't even thinking about producing parts for this car because the market is'nt that great, and not that many guys are drifting these cars. but with the very small aftermarket suspension support, I thought we could produce some quality parts that would be readily available. Just trying to contribute the community for another alternative option. But its your decision to take something from it, or not.

kai, you clearly know your stuff. no doubt about that. but to me it seems like you see this in a black and white manner, there is a grey section of this where people dont set up their supra for performance, but just for looks. simply because they can, and because they want to. i hope you dont take any of this offensive.

mecevans;1791040 said:
Streched tires didnt start out just for looks btw.
let's not turn this into a debate. lets just keep it as "to each of their own"

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
rwdanthony;1791058 said:
part shop max wasn't even thinking about producing parts for this car because the market is'nt that great, and not that many guys are drifting these cars. but with the very small aftermarket suspension support, I thought we could produce some quality parts that would be readily available. Just trying to contribute the community for another alternative option. But its your decision to take something from it, or not.

kai, you clearly know your stuff. no doubt about that. but to me it seems like you see this in a black and white manner, there is a grey section of this where people dont set up their supra for performance, but just for looks. simply because they can, and because they want to. i hope you dont take any of this offensive.

I would side with Kai here, but you're at least acknowledging that there will be problems with riding that low. Some places (Phoenix valley comes to mind) that I've been, having a car that low isn't a problem at all. Most "real world" places that people live though, have bumps, hills, gutters between road transitions, etc... Around Wyoming where I live, you would get high centered trying to go ANYWHERE. I am not even kidding. You could drive the 3 main roads in town, but trying to go into nearly any parking lot off of those roads, you would get stuck.

So, like you say, to each their own, and I am a fan of anyone trying to help out the Mk3 aftermarket, and will support them as such. Plus, the beauty of coilovers, is the adjustability. I can tuck my Megans like your car if I wanted, but like I mentioned, it doesn't work around here. Doubt I could go any lower than tucking a 1/2" or so though, and you said you have a 3" range (2" higher than pictured, and 1" lower), that is AWESOME. Nothing wrong with options, especially flexible ones like this. Personally, I plan on doing the 4x4 +1 stance around here for S&G's at some point. :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
rwdanthony;1791058 said:

This!

My only caveat would be keep it safe guys, if you understand and accept the limitation of running slammed DON'T drive your cars like you would a DD as it'll end in tears at the most unexpected time!

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
These coilovers somewhat resembles my JIC-Magic SF2.
Only issue I've experienced with them is that the lower perch tightening ring causes tire / wheel interference with wide tires (315mm+), thus limiting the overall maximum width wheel / tire combination one can install. I do think the JIC's tightening ring's OD is a little larger though.