It's amazing what you can get for almost free

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
(posted this on SF, but I wanted to share with you fine folks )

Recently, I picked up a 1986 Trans Am....which did well for me, until the problems I had with it, just got too much. Engine problems, brake problems, can't pass emissions, etc, etc.....

Long story short, I put up various parts of it on Craigslist, including a $200 Kicker sub/box, that came with the car.

Not a day later, I get an offer for the sub, in exchange for a Supra.

Guy claims it's an '86.5 Supra, shows me some pictures of it....looks ragged to all hell, but it's not like I need the subwoofer for anything....figure, why not?

Here's one of the "before" pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Delicious.....is not the word for it. Apparently, the windows are gone, and it's been sitting out in the weather for two years. Spectacular. But, he offers to have it towed to my house, at the cost of $120. Can't find much to argue with it.

I would have more pictures to show of the before, but it was pretty disgusting, and I just jumped into the cleaning of it. About three inches deep of leaves, unmentionable goo, random Harry Potter video games, faucets, and other things.....I produce this:

p1273001_1.jpg

p1273001_2.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The rear seats are abominable, but he included a good set. And a replacement carpet that he just had pressure washed and cleaned.

No engine, no trans. Wiring harness still intact, and has driveshaft. No interior door panels. VIN checks out as an '87 non turbo. Data plate says Dec, 1986, so I'm guessing it's really an 87, not an 86.5. Body could use some work, but is pretty sold. Engine bay is in great shape. Tried to take a decent picture of it, but nothing turned out well. A little bit of dirt on the crossmember, but the rest is actually clean.

Had some 5-spokes laying around, thought I'd see how they look. Undecided, at the moment.

Car history is clean. Was a dealer inventory car from 1987-1999, one owner, passed emissions, no accidents, then it went to an impound lot.

Only issue is the title. He's seeing if he can get the title from the impound lot he bought it from, otherwise I'll have to apply for a bonded title. With a clean record and a bill of sale, it shouldn't be too bad.

Not a big deal, really, for a car I basically got for free. :evil2:

No idea what my plans for it are. Maybe a 2jz project. Maybe something else. Who knows. Kinda tired of working on 7Ms.... Might part out the interior. Not sure. Someone suggested a 1UZ.... I already had a 3 year project that ended up more or less fruitless, don't really want to get too crazy with it.

Whatcha guys think?

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
RazoE;1273032 said:
if it has TEMS it has the sports package, which included the LSD..

great find dude!

Yep, has TEMS. :naughty:

Might as well post this:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The picture really doesn't do it justice though. I'll try to take a picture on a sunny day, without flash, so there's not so much glare.

I'm partially leaning towards gutting it, selling the interior to someone who needs it, and doing another project.........or....leaving it all intact, and just do something simple with it. It's a great clean slate, either way.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Car looks great some rubbing compund and a buffer will bring that paint back like new. Man the frame # is so visable in that pic of the engine bay.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
I would of traded the speakers too ... Id just slap a good running 7mgte/r-154 in , & call it sold to the 1st person willing to pay what your asking .

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
I've thought about turning it around and selling it......

But I just don't know. I recently had a true 86.5 that was a lot of fun, should have held onto it.

That, and I've always wanted a black one. :biglaugh:

I've had three blue, one red, almost had a silver one....but black just looks so good....

Wonder how much of a blasphemy it would be to put a 302 engine in there....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Chaotic Neutral;1274430 said:
That, and I've always wanted a black one. :biglaugh: I've had three blue, one red, almost had a silver one....but black just looks so good....

See, I KNEW I liked something about you. It's nice to see someone who actually makes sense on this crazy forum. :icon_razz

Wonder how much of a blasphemy it would be to put a 302 engine in there....

Go for it, man. I prefer LSx swaps, but use what you can! There are many naysayers, however, I don't give a flying rat's ass if you have 3 hampsters, 2 goats, and a chinchilla under the hood. If it makes power, great!

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
shaeff;1274453 said:
I don't give a flying rat's ass if you have 3 hampsters, 2 goats, and a chinchilla under the hood. If it makes power, great!

I hear thats a good combo too easily in the 11's. :biglaugh:

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
shaeff;1274453 said:
See, I KNEW I liked something about you. It's nice to see someone who actually makes sense on this crazy forum. :icon_razz

Go for it, man. I prefer LSx swaps, but use what you can! There are many naysayers, however, I don't give a flying rat's ass if you have 3 hampsters, 2 goats, and a chinchilla under the hood. If it makes power, great!

Lol, good to know that at least there's one person who approves of thinking outside of the box. I always figure, that gears are gears. If the car doesn't care, why should people? :dunno:

I'd love to do an LSx swap of some kind, but I already have a 302 in my garage waiting for me to do something with it. A MKIII with a 347 stroker would be fun. :evil2:

I have a 305 TPI engine also, that came out of the Trans Am.....but since it basically drops into my 240z with little work at all, might as well use it for that.

Either way, going to test fit the 302 in the car this weekend, start getting a rough idea of what will need to be done. If I start moving forward with it, I'll just ask this to get turned into build thread, under the right subforum.

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Well, ran into a few snags. The 302 fits perfectly, minus one problem. The oilpan. I was hoping to use the stock engine mounts on the car, or close to them. However, to do this, puts the engine about three inches higher than I want it to.

The alternative, is to move the engine forward, which lowers the height, but moves the engine about 3 inches forward of where I would like it to be.

Just can't win them all.

So, I thought, perhaps I'll try fitting my 305 TPI in there. And then the hydraulic cylinder on my hoist gave out, and I can't lift an engine more than about a foot.

At a stand still, until I can get a replacement.

It gets further complicated, as someone wants the 302, to trade me a 357, which would go in my Z. Which leaves me just the 305 left over.

Not a bad engine. Not amazing, either. But it will pass emissions....and that's a key aspect of this whole thing.

Just was hoping to use the stock engine mounts. Guess that's out of the question though.:nono:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
be the frist person to do 4 cyc swap some thing like a 4age or smaller

then put sticker's all over it