ITBs and emmission/vac system design and questions

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
so im looking at designing and eventually making a bolt on ITB for my 7mge. Im going to try to keep it CA emission legal so the egr will have to stay which means im going to have to figure out how to set up the new emission/vac lines with the ITBs but im getting a head of myself so lets start off with a list of things to do/figure out:

1.emission line configuration
2. ITB design
3. find suitable tb
4. tps, do i need it?
5. throttle cable link up and mechanism
6.will a afc work to regulate the fuel mixture correctly?

so these are the things i need to figure out and so far i have a few questions,

I need some clarification on how the purge port works. I know the BVSV opens at a certain temp and air from the charcoal canister is pullled into the intake so does the purge port regulate how much of the air goes in? and if so how does it do it through relieving pressure or does it open at a certain temp like the BVSV?

p1724749_1.gif

I will put up some drawings of the emission line layout i have so far as well as the basic design of my itbs tmrw, but if you have have any suggestions, or you can answer any of my issues, or if theres something i completely missed feel free to comment.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
If your going to be using the AE101/111 Corolla ITBs, then just follow the factory routing of the 7M.
You will have to run a connecting tube to all runners for the EGR, just like the Corolla has built into their manifold, and there are ports on the ITBs for the charcoal canister connection.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
CT26smoker;1724889 said:
If your going to be using the AE101/111 Corolla ITBs, then just follow the factory routing of the 7M.
You will have to run a connecting tube to all runners for the EGR, just like the Corolla has built into their manifold, and there are ports on the ITBs for the charcoal canister connection.

hmmm interesting this kind of brings up another question i had. So i will have to run lines from the BVSV to all the runners and for the EGR lines there is two that feed into the throttle body ( egr port and r port) in the stock tb the egr port is after the throttle gate so it is always being sucked into the intake but the r port is located slightly after the throttle gate so it only experiences a vacuum when the throttle is open, will i need to mimic this set up for the ITBs?

p1724930_1.gif

also for the ISCV im assuming i will also have to run lines to each runner. The cold start is another thing im have trouble relocating, is it even needed? i hear of people running without one, i live in CA close to the ocean we dont experience subfreezing temps here.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

jetjock;1724925 said:
The ITB alone will make the car CA emissions illegal...

hahaha serious? man Cali is a pain i thought as long as all the emission things were kept it would pass?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
JJ is right, unless it's CARB approved, it's illegal. There is a short list of things you ARE aloud to modify ( intercooler being one of them). There is not even an approved intake manifold for these cars Your beat bet would be to have a spare motor, you throw in when it's smog time.

I t always amazes me the wide spread misconceptions about ca smog. If you change something and It does not have a CARB# and the tech can see it and tell its not supposed to be like that, you fail visual. With that being said, some techs are asshats and wouldn't notice if you had a jet engine in there.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
mkiiichip;1725130 said:
JJ is right, unless it's CARB approved, it's illegal. There is a short list of things you ARE aloud to modify ( intercooler being one of them). There is not even an approved intake manifold for these cars Your beat bet would be to have a spare motor, you throw in when it's smog time.

I t always amazes me the wide spread misconceptions about ca smog. If you change something and It does not have a CARB# and the tech can see it and tell its not supposed to be like that, you fail visual. With that being said, some techs are asshats and wouldn't notice if you had a jet engine in there.

lol thanks for the info man i new that cali was incredible strict but wasnt sure to wat extent

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1724925 said:
The ITB alone will make the car CA emissions illegal...

This is my comment. You can not altar a car in any state. Replacement parts have to get certified for sale as emission compliant. If you didnt' know that. If you go to CARB and prove it, then you can have it legally.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
sorry it took me awhile i was looking up and purchasing the TBs. so here is the basic design nothing to detailed ill work on the detailed on as soon as i get a spare set of runners to measure and mess with.

L side.jpgvacuum box hoses closeup.jpgfornt.jpgangle close up.jpgR side.jpg

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
vacuum box closeup.jpgtop.jpg

The TBs and custom runners are easy to identify. the silver box is what im calling the air box which is were i am currently planning to run most of the vacuum lines and the blue box on the silver box is were im planning to put the ISCV.

so i decided to go with the AE101 throttle bodies because they easily interconnect, they have the ports for the EGR and i was able to get all everything i needed for a decent price

If you have any advice or any suggestions feel free to comment. any help or constructive criticism is gladly welcome

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
i was able to get all six i needed for under 200. i came across a few good deals but the only down side is that im missing the throttle linkage and the bracket that holds the throttle cable

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
okay so i finished the second design and i must say i like it much better then the first, thanks hvyman for the advice to put the vacuum block on the bottom side it allows me to keep the ITBs close to the engine hopefully this will allow me to keep my brakebooster. and as soon as i get the lower runners ill make a detailed design

p1729078_1.jpg

p1729078_2.jpg

p1729078_3.jpg

p1729078_4.jpg

p1729078_5.jpg

p1729078_6.jpg

p1729078_7.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

p1729078_8.jpg