Issues With Oil Burning

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Hey guys I recently got my Supra and I was crazy about it until my dad told me I should sell it. I asked him why and he says that the car is just burning oil like crazy and it would cost me a lot more to repair it then to just buy a new car. Maybe hes lying because he doesn't really want me having a car right now but I just want to make sure. I just wanted to know how can I tell if I'm burning oil and what are some ways of preventing this? I'd really like to keep this car because it took me forever to find it and I really like it. I'm just hoping its not as hard or costly to repair as my dad is saying it is. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and the other day when I started it my friend and my brother were outside and they told me they saw some black smoke coming out of the exhaust when I FIRST started but when I looked there was white smoke.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
gsmokez;889542 said:
Hey guys I recently got my Supra and I was crazy about it until my dad told me I should sell it. I asked him why and he says that the car is just burning oil like crazy and it would cost me a lot more to repair it then to just buy a new car. Maybe hes lying because he doesn't really want me having a car right now but I just want to make sure. I just wanted to know how can I tell if I'm burning oil and what are some ways of preventing this? I'd really like to keep this car because it took me forever to find it and I really like it. I'm just hoping its not as hard or costly to repair as my dad is saying it is. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and the other day when I started it my friend and my brother were outside and they told me they saw some black smoke coming out of the exhaust when I FIRST started but when I looked there was white smoke.

Generally speaking, black smoke is unburned fuel, blue smoke is oil.

Usually, if is smokes on initial start-up, and the smoke is blue or a light color and its not condensation, that is indicative of the valve stem seals worn and letting oil by when at rest. How many miles on it, how often do you check the oil, when you do check it do you see any consumption where you need to add to bring to full level on dipstick?

If you suspect an oil consumption condition, I would check the oil quite often and if possible, before you start the car up in the mornings, every morning, consider it cheap insurance. Keeping close tabs on the oil level is a must and not doing so probably accounts for alot of the problems some have had with their mkIII's.

Just my .02

Wayne

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Well like I said I recently got it so I haven't even had the chance to check it yet. And I'm in Canada so we go by km and there's 125 000 km on the car and engine. I'll make sure to check the oil then before I start it because I'm pretty worried about it and if I need to fix it then I want to do it quick before it gets worse or something. And yeah the car is just sitting right now I start it up once a day so I thought that might be one of the reasons it smells like that but my dad is saying its burning oil for sure. So are you saying that most likely I'm going to have to replace the valve seals? Any idea how much that repair would cost?(ballpark)

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Do a compression test and a leak down to see what condition the motor is in. Learn how to work on it fast, or you'll be spending money on it. Valve stem seals aren't that hard, but it takes awhile, and you need space and tools. You can probably find a tutorial on here. gl.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
aryte guys so I talkd to my friend and the previous owner and they both say that its probably because the cars been sitting for so long. Anyone have experience with this?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Drive around for a few days and check the oil in the mornings. You dont seem to know much oil you are burning ....So relax and give it a week or so.

There is nothing you can do to stop oil from burning except fix it. Dont bother with stop leak products they only waste your money

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I was told by the po my car wasn't going to cost me money. He lied. Do these tests yourself.
A leak down tester uses air from a compressor and measures the rate at which it leaks through the engine. It helps to point in the direction of problems, ie ring lands, valves, hg problems etc. Check your turbo for a and r play as well.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
aryte Im just going to get my dad to drive it around for a couple of weeks just around the neighbourhood and stuff and then if it's still smoking and smelling wierd then I guess I'll just have to do the leak down and get it repaired. Any ideas how much it'll cost to do that test(ballpark again lolll)?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
um... i was pretty sure the leakdown consisted of putting some oil in the combustion chamber and then compression testing it again?

i thought the air test was to check for a bent valve, or check for boost leaks

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ No. True leakdown testing refers to what is properly called a differential compression test. It's done by injecting compressed air and measuring the pressure drop across an orifice, in contrast to the direct compression test most people are familiar with. Fwiw compression testing can also be done using vacuum.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Oh and do all shops do these tests or is it only the performance shops because I've never heard of a leak down before. Ive heard of compression tests but this is new to me