issues with fcd?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Beals;1932646 said:
well if you get a wideband o2 sensor you can tell exactly what your a/f ratio's are and you'll know what you need to be at. IMO 31 is low for running 15 lbs of boost. I'm looking to get an AFPR to turn my fuel pressure up to 40 for running more boost. and with the 550's you have your going to be running more fuel with more boost so I don't see why you'd need to lower it. Could be a leak in your fuel rail if your smelling gas. But I would set it back to stock fuel pressure and see how it runs over a couple days.

Using fuel pressure to tune with is not advisable. Stock FP is adequate for most applications and should only be adjusted from stock if necessary. If someone is about to ask when is it necessary, then they need to doe some research on our fuel systems.

This OP's current setup is a recipe for disaster...

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
CajunKenny;1932752 said:
Using fuel pressure to tune with is not advisable. Stock FP is adequate for most applications and should only be adjusted from stock if necessary. If someone is about to ask when is it necessary, then they need to doe some research on our fuel systems.

This OP's current setup is a recipe for disaster...

yeah I get what your saying, but lowing the fuel pressure below what it came stock and then turning up the boost is just as bad as turning the fuel pressure higher then what car needs.

Basically set your fuel pressure back to factory, I think it's around 37. and whoever tuned the afc obviously had the right tools in their shop, SO DON'T FUCK WITH IT. pay a professional to, like someone said it can be another problem like a vacuum leak/boost leak, leaking fuel(you do have swapped fuel injectors) or even climate(season cold day/hot day).

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
BryanDyer;1932757 said:
I'm not tuning my car with a fpr I said it was tuned with the afc
how is my car setup for disaster?

BryanDyer;1932758 said:
or we're saying its not advisable to beals

I was commenting to Beals with the FPR statements. The "disaster" comment was regarding your setup. I'm not saying your car is a disaster as it's likely a nice ride; however, you run the risk of blowing your motor without a wideband and/or knowing how it was previously tuned. Which is where my "disaster" comment was directed.

When I bought my car, it had one of those 'Narrow Band' AFR Gauges. And yes, the previous owner used it to "tune" the car. So, when you mentioned that your setup had similar components I immediately thought of my car. Fortunately, the HG Blew in a manner that none of the rods were bent; but, it was quite the disaster none the less. It took out the radiator, heater core, and a couple of weak hoses.

My recommendation is to turn off your AFC and turn the boost down to 10 psi until you can have a WB installed and properly tune it.

Beals;1932771 said:
yeah I get what your saying, but lowing the fuel pressure below what it came stock and then turning up the boost is just as bad as turning the fuel pressure higher then what car needs.

Here's some clarification...

Our fuel systems are 'Rise on Demand'. FP rises at a rate of 1:1 to boost. Stock FP is 33-40 psi. So, let's say it's at 40 psi and someone is running 15 psi of boost. At that boost level, FP will peak to 55 psi. One should know their fuel delivery rate to determine whether their pump can deliver adequate fuel at that pressure.

I have lowered my base FP to 32 because I'm running 22 psi of boost and I want a little safety margin in fuel delivery.

I have heard of folks running 42+ base pressure and 18 psi of boost on a stock ~20 year old fuel pump. Clearly these people don't understand the danger of what they're doing.

That last thing we want are broken Supras. ;)

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I haven't turned the boost up or anything or touched the tune becuase I have no clue howto tune an afc
I have the fp set to 36 so I'm
right in between I was just wondering what you
guys thought a contributing factor other than wether would be
I barely even boost becuase there's no where around where I am to run a full 15 lbs for mor than 2 seconds
and my too end has been completely rebuilt with a 3 mm cometic mhg but that's for the help

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
CajunKenny;1932810 said:
...I have heard of folks running 42+ base pressure and 18 psi of boost on a stock ~20 year old fuel pump. Clearly these people don't understand the danger of what they're doing...

I was one of these people when I first started in the turbo Supra game...I figured "higher full pressure means more fuel per pulse of the injector...brilliant I can turn up the boost."

WRONG!!

All it did was lower my MPG...didn't help the car run any better. It made the exhaust smell really rich (cause it was) and it gave the car a negative image when people would smell it...I dont know how many times I got "man are you leaking fuel?"

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
BryanDyer;1932709 said:
does anyone know why I would have hesitation when I'm just cruising but vaccum is at -15 to -10 it like jerks consistantly but very lightly same symtoms as a boost leak but lighter like barely jerks or hesitates not sure why it does that

Might be a throttle position sensor problem

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hvyman;1932372 said:
It just removes fuel cut. So if you over boost you will prolly melt a piston.
that's not all it does. fooling your ecu into thinking it's taking in less air will alter your timing maps too, no bueno

DeMoN2318;1932838 said:
I was one of these people when I first started in the turbo Supra game...I figured "higher full pressure means more fuel per pulse of the injector...brilliant I can turn up the boost."

WRONG!!

All it did was lower my MPG...didn't help the car run any better. It made the exhaust smell really rich (cause it was) and it gave the car a negative image when people would smell it...I dont know how many times I got "man are you leaking fuel?"

:rofl: that's pretty funny :biglaugh:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
DeMoN2318;1932838 said:
I dont know how many times I got "man are you leaking fuel?"

Pretty funny. Well, glad to hear that you're on the right road now! ;)

BryanDyer;1932835 said:
I was just wondering what you
guys thought a contributing factor other than wether

DeMoN already mentioned "Climate Change" and he's likely right on. Weather is getting warmer and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your AFC's Air Correction Tables have not been tuned. Does the NEO even have that option?

Also, a boost leak will cause a rich condition.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
CajunKenny;1932852 said:
Pretty funny. Well, glad to hear that you're on the right road now! ;)

DeMoN already mentioned "Climate Change" and he's likely right on. Weather is getting warmer and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your AFC's Air Correction Tables have not been tuned. Does the NEO even have that option?

Also, a boost leak will cause a rich condition.

I really don't know....
I have no idea how to use it was in the car when I got the car
the thing is just a whole bunch of numbers and buttons to me
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how it works and all
all I know is it controls my air fuel ratios lol I do know that the corrections that are made on the neo on mine or for lo and high throttle not sure what they mean though

Last edited:

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
BryanDyer;1932869 said:
like I would love to learn how to tune cars but I don't where to start

Yea tuning would pretty expensive if you learned through a trial and error method.

I would like the learn how to tune as well, I want to get a NEO and eventually go standalone but where to even start! Any books on ECU tuning?