Issue after oil change

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
switched from 10w-30 to 5w-30 royal purple, and before my oil only used to get up to 180degrees max during freeway and cruising when the oil was new and now with new 5w-30 im getting 200degrees+ easy on the freeway. I switched becuase every other Supra guy that i know personally runs 5-30

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Viscosity by itself does not affect max oil temps...BTW, 210 deg F is the perfect temp for the oil. If you are in the 200-220 deg range, you do not have a problem...the oil viscosity for a 5W-30 is dead on at those temps for stock bearing clearances on the 7M.

If you are getting higher temps (> 220), I would look at the cooler to make sure there is no air flow restriction...check the condition of the lines too. Also, if you are using the stock filter head/cooler set-up the oil does not flow to the cooler until the psi reaches 35-40 and overcomes the cooler circuit relief spring. This is the only way viscosity can be affecting temps...a 5W-30 is thinner cold and will delay the oil going to the cooler due to the lower psi it will produce. The oil will warm up quicker (which is what you want) and may not produce the required pressure to open the cooler circuit until you are at highway rpm.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
starscream5000 said:
What gauge are you using? There's nothing in your profile...
What brand and specific type of oil were you using before the change?

Royal Purple also, Autometer C2 gauge

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I have a question...I am using 5W-30 Toyota brand oil, and my oil pressure (according to the stock gauge) NEVER goes above maybe 35psi maximum...even at 100MPH on the freeway...so does that mean that my oil cooler is always being bypassed, and the oil temp is likely too high?

Is this normal, or should I switch to a slightly thicker oil, maybe 5W-40?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
johnathan1 said:
I have a question...I am using 5W-30 Toyota brand oil, and my oil pressure (according to the stock gauge) NEVER goes above maybe 35psi maximum...even at 100MPH on the freeway...so does that mean that my oil cooler is always being bypassed, and the oil temp is likely too high?

Is this normal, or should I switch to a slightly thicker oil, maybe 5W-40?
youre in cali right? i wouldn't think it would be necessary to use a 5w...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
But the problem I'm having is once the car is at operating temp...when cold pressure will sometimes get just above the 40 mark MAX. Usually just below it though.

And 5W-30 is what the dealer recommended and put in my car.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
johnathan1 said:
But the problem I'm having is once the car is at operating temp...when cold pressure will sometimes get just above the 40 mark MAX. Usually just below it though.

And 5W-30 is what the dealer recommended and put in my car.
the 5w is thin at warm up... thats why its used for colder weather. get a 10w40...
edit. you get your oil changed at the dealer?!?
how rich are you :icon_razz

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
5W is thin at warm up so he should get a 10-40? Good grief, does it ever end?

The stock gage isn't that accurate Johnathan. Mine never goes about the second line when hot. I've never lost sleep over it. Not to mention these days I'm running a 5w-20. With your engine a 5W-40 would be fine. For short changes (5K miles) in an engine with your mileage I like Rotella. Just my opinion though as I don't know near as much about oil as the dubster ;)

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
LMAO! No, I live in an apartment complex, and they get super weird when you start messing with fluids...just about anything else is okay tho, as long as you keep everything clean...

Edit: Yea, I suppose you are right, it just seemed like it was a bit low, not mention it raises until 3k RPMs (under load) and then after that, pressure doesn't rise anymore, even at 4.5k... It would just be nice to know that my oil cooler is doing it's job. ;)

And also, I don't really know how many miles are on my engine...it has been rebuilt at least once that I know of, but I have no clue on the mileage...I'm guessing it's somewhere between 50-100k miles ago.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
jetjock said:
5W is thin at warn up so he should get a 10-40? Good grief, does it ever end?

The stock gage isn't that accurate Johnathan. Mine never goes about the second line when hot. I've never lost sleep over it. Not to mention these days I'm running a 5w-20. With your engine a 5W-40 would be fine. For short changes (5K miles) in an engine with your mileage I like Rotella. Just my opinion though as I don't know near as much about oil as the dubster ;)
5w20 will thin out at hotter temps. thats why i suggested a 40. i believe ian is also running a 10w50 if im not mistaken.
my suggestion was a good one based on my opinion, so you shouldn't "good grief" me.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CryoSlash said:
the 5w is thin at warm up... that's why its used for colder weather. get a 10w40...

Might want to visit the oil section...hate to break it to you, but the 0W-30 German Castrol I'm using is thicker than most 10W-30 oils at ops temp and is actually close to a 40W viscosity at 100 deg C. Not that I would know what I'm talking about or anything ;)

CryoSlash said:
5w20 will thin out at hotter temps. thats why i suggested a 40. i believe ian is also running a 10w50 if im not mistaken.
my suggestion was a good one based on my opinion, so you shouldn't "good grief" me.

Now I know you need to do a little "light reading" in the oil section ;)
Comparing what IJ is doing to the other 99% of the 7M's out there is just wrong.

jetjock said:
Just my opinion though as I don't know near as much about oil as the dubster ;)

Now that's REALLY funny...geez JJ, you the one that got me into all this oil stuff!

Johnathan - JJ is correct, your cooler is working...just feel it with your hand after a highway run. The main reason you won't see pressures above 40 psi is due to the filter relief spring...pressure above that is routed through the cooler and dumped straight into the pan. The 5W-30 is fine for your motor...good on ya for using an oil that keeps your motor happy.