Isolated Lean Spike

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
Hey All,

I recently got my PLX wideband installed, and properly tuned my safc.

it runs perfect through almost the entire rpm band, whether i am under boost or just cruising, except for right from 2000-2150 RPM on the low throttle setting of the SAFC.

Under normal (not WOT) acceleration i get a spike of about 16.8 on the wideband, peaking at about 2075 rpm. then right at 2150 it goes back to normal.

If i add fuel at 2000 rpm, i can get the lean spike to get into the normal 14.7 range, but then everywhere else around there i am running too rich.

My mods are 3" cat back,
2.5" ic piping and frontmount
USDM 550's
afpr at 32 lbs (vac off)
apexi safc

i have a few others, but not that would effect fuel delivery.

I am running the 550;s because the only harness i could get my hands on at the time of the swap was already wired for them. that is why i am running a lower fuel pressure.

with the safc on low throttle i am pulling:
Nothing at idle
2000: 7%
3000: 11%
4000: 12%

and the rest doesn't really matter, because there are no problems up there.

if anyone has any possible suggestions, or answers, i would love to hear them.

also i was wondering if it is even much of a problem, since it is only in low throttle, i am not pulling hard, and since the max i have ever seen it spike was 17.0 (it never says lean). it may be no big deal, and if thats the case i won't even worry about it.

thanks in advance,
-Trevor

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I had the same problem with my car, except at 3000rpm, I was running 41psi of fuel pressure instead of the stock 43psi, turning it up to 43 and some work on my safc and I was able to smooth it out. I want to say this is pretty normal as it seems to happen to a ton of people. It seems like a problem, but just add fuel in that area and you should be able to get it to where it is completely smooth.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i tried tuning it out, and it just pushed the spike higher up. i upped the fuel pressure, and nothing...the other odd thing is that when i am driving, my AFR's get richer when i let off the gas and get leaner when i get on it.

i understand this is backwards...is it possible that the throttle setting on the safc should be the down arrow instead of the up arrow?

but i also believe that i have one bad injector, so that may also add to the problem.