Isnt running right

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
ON my way home from school today my check engine light came on, taking off from a stop like normal, just giving it a little gas and releasing the clutch it bogged and died.(Not me just Killing it). So I got home and lifted the hood and it smelled wierd like a gassy, oily, coolant smell. makes a click I doubt it is rod knock though, probably just the cams im just freakin out. Just by turning the throttle body and revving to 2K at the most, as the rpm drops it doesnt stop at 650 rpm as normal, but dies. ???????????????????????WTF I had the HG replaced about 4 months ago. 110K on the motor. Never had any other problems before. Any Tips or info wuld be very much apprieciated.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Ok so I scanned for codes and I got 31... afm, Im thinking to just upgrade to the lexus afm. Is that compatible to the stock 7MGTE? do I need to upgrade injectors, or anyhting? Thanks

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
if your going with the lex afm and no piggy back computer you need to get the 550 injectors.... If im correct you get 20% more air that the computer doesnt see. and with 550s you get 20% more fuel that the computer doesnt see. so it balances it out.... if you put the lex on without bigger injectors or no fuel computer w/wideband 02 so you can tune... you stand a chance of running lean... you still need the 7m electronics in the lexus afm also so personnally id find the electronics from someone and put it in your housing until your ready for the lex afm..

also if your putting in 550's you need a walbro 255lph fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to keep up with the 550's

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You, sir, need to read some more before you continue posting. If you don't, everyone *will* start ignoring you. I include myself in that list.

For the benefit of future searchers who find this thread...

No, you cannot just upgrade the AFM. It flows about 25% more air for the same reading produced, so your engine would run lean. You need to balance a Lexus AFM with 25% larger injectors - so, 550cc injectors goes with the Lexus AFM.

This information has been documented literally thousands of times, and is available virtually everywhere on every Supra related forum.

The search button will help you a lot. I'd suggest searching for, and reading up on both the Lexus AFM / 550cc injector combo, and the code 31 that you are getting.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
GrimJack;930356 said:
You, sir, need to read some more before you continue posting. If you don't, everyone *will* start ignoring you. I include myself in that list.

For the benefit of future searchers who find this thread...

No, you cannot just upgrade the AFM. It flows about 25% more air for the same reading produced, so your engine would run lean. You need to balance a Lexus AFM with 25% larger injectors - so, 550cc injectors goes with the Lexus AFM.

This information has been documented literally thousands of times, and is available virtually everywhere on every Supra related forum.

The search button will help you a lot. I'd suggest searching for, and reading up on both the Lexus AFM / 550cc injector combo, and the code 31 that you are getting.

are you talking to me or the thread starter....