ISC no worky. Dunno why.

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
My Supra recently decided it did not like idling. It started with classic flucuating rpm at idle, up and down. Unplugging ISC had no change. It seemed to run fine once you opened the throttle a little, either to make idle a little higher or to drive down the road. So I started checking things- I measured resistance through ISC as outlined in tsrm, and it was a littlle too high. So I picked up two junk yard units that measured right in middle of acceptable range- 20ohms. Before I put one on I completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed. It ran the same. I started checking out other things and found a few cylinders seemed to be missing at idle, but didn't seem to at higher rpms. Distributor cap and rotor looked a little chewed up, so I replaced 'em, along with O2 sensor, which I just knew was very old, possibly original from '87. It made it idle better, but ISC is still doing nothing.
As I understand it receives constant power on middle two terminals and ecu provides grounds to move it in and out. It has power on plug, but I don't see it switching ground on any of other four terminals. I tried wiggling and pinching along wire harness but no changes.
It has no codes and check engine light seems to work like it's supposed to.

Next thing I'm going to check is for continuity of wires from isc plug to plug on ecu, if that checks good then it's pointing to ECU problem?! I guess I can check for it switching grounds at ecu plug too.

So here is my question for some of you gurus- are there any other components or problems that would cause a good isc circuit to not work? If my doopleganger was jammed or the gigershmecker burnt? What if the blinker fluid resevoir was dry would that cause isc to not work? I know my muffler bearings are old. Anyway, seriously, what else should I check and look into before putting a bullet through the ECU?

It freaking St Patrick's Day! And I'm Patrick, and mostly Irish, so I'm about to go out and do some drinking, so I think I'm done checking this pile of Toyota for tonight, but please offer up any tips or info you got. Cheers!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Does the valve responded when you power it off the car? Does it home just after engine shutdown? The ISC system will not operate unless vehicle speed is below 11 mph and the IDL contact in the TPS is closed. A problem with either of those should give you codes though. Check the wiring as you suggested. All unplugging the ISCV does is freeze it in it's present position. Since idle should not fluctuate under that condition you likely have multiple problems...

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Forgot to reply after I found some more out. My egr valve was opening/ cycling all the time. Which, at idle, makes it drop rpm and run like shit. I think it was rising and falling because that's the way the modulator is supposed to control the egr. It opens and closes, just not supposed to til it's hot and above certain rpm. I think jetjock was right and I misunderstood what I should see from isc valve; unplugging it when it's idlin shouldn't show any effect, til it needs to adjust idle speed again like after it warms or something.
Anyway, I sealed off vacuum line to egr valve and it runs and idles fine. I'll probably put off testing vsf and vac modulator til smog is due and I have to fix it. Procrastinate!
Thanks though. It threw me for loop at first. Silly modern smog controls.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Modern? The 7M's EGR system is archaic as they come. Based on your vehicle list I understand though.

You may want to check if everything is connected properly. EGR is supposed to be connected to ported vacuum on the throttle body so unless it's hooked up wrong (or hooked up right and the throttle plate isn't fully closed) there shouldn't be vacuum at idle to modulate EGR.

The ECU controlled VSV cuts off vacuum (and vents the EGR valve to ambient pressure) whenever coolant is cold or when engine rpm is above 4200 rpm. This combination of mechanical and electronic control covers all the situations during which EGR is either unneeded or could effect driveability.