IS250 to IS350 6MT Build

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
After years of waiting and researching, I feel like everything is right for me to start this project and I'm pretty excited to say the least!

Car started as a 2011 IS250 6MT and over the years I have done a lot of changes to the car, including suspension, LSD, a few computers and exterior parts. Still, this is the biggest change I've done for sure.

And so it begins!

roadtrip_side1.jpg

late_rear2.jpg

late_front1.jpg

interior2.jpg

engine2.jpg

new_lines1.jpg

4gr_remove1.jpg

4gr_remove2.jpg

wiring1.jpg

new_parts1.jpg

pressure_plate1.jpg

:)

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
4GR-FSE successfully removed. Now to swap over any parts that I want to keep onto the used engine and need to finish modifying the engine-side of the wiring harness for the manual transmission. :) My attempts to find a larger clutch disc that would fit the 4GR pressure plate and flywheel have failed (had hoped a 7M-GTE/1JZ-GTE clutch disc or 5VZ-FE clutch disc would work, they don't), so I will be sticking with a stock-sized 236mm clutch disc.

Of note: the RA62 is in reality, quite a large transmission.

4gr_removed2.jpg

4gr_removed3.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Looking over the engine when I got it, I noticed a few things that looked pretty clean, but didn't think too much about it other than it looked like the heads had likely been rebuilt at one point or another. But looking at it again today, it looked like the timing cover (which I was planning on swapping from my old engine) had been recently replaced, which was interesting, and upon closer inspection it looks like the shortblock has also been replaced relatively recently, as indicated by both it's cleanliness and the fact that it has no engine number stamped on the block.

So it looks like this was a very good find for a used engine, a lot of new parts going on up in here.

2gr_prep1.jpg

2gr_number1.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Started swapping everything I wanted to keep from my original engine over to the new engine yesterday, as expected the used engine looks even cleaner inside than my original engine, pretty rare when buying a used engine! I got a pretty amazing deal to be honest.

2gr_inside1.jpg

2gr_inside2.jpg

Also finally got the final clamps and brackets required to get the port injection feed line installed into the car.

feed_line1.jpg

feed_line2.jpg

feed_line3.jpg

So here it sits, hoping to get the engine back into the car next week!

swap_bay1.jpg

swap_bay2.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
So things are now finally coming together with the transmission and clutch bolted up and the engine harness, which I finished modifying and cleaning up yesterday, being installed on the engine. The new fuel feed line has been connected to the tank as well.

2gr_ra62.jpg

2gr_harness1.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Aisin rates it for 345ft-lbf. Highest I know of in a factory application is actually the RA63 in the IS220d which had 300ft-lbf, highest I know of in a factory-approved application is the TRD Supercharged Tacoma which uses the RA60 and has 334ft-lbf, finally the highest I know of in an aftermarket application is the Ray Hall FR-S in Australia which is putting down 550ft-lbf at the wheels, but I have no idea how long that has held up for though.

Still, it's not a super common transmission and there isn't much aftermarket support out there for it. But it is nice in that it is an FR manual transmission that will bolt to the 2GR/3GR/4GR engines.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I got the wiring harness almost completely installed before getting the engine back into the car. Still waiting for that fuel line to come in, but it can be installed with the engine in the car (it is holding up installing the intake manifold though). There's definitely a lot less going on in the bay now though!

2gr_harness2.jpg

2gr_install1.jpg

2gr_install2.jpg

2gr_incar1.jpg

2gr_incar2.jpg

interior1.jpg

swap_bay3.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
So I was in Hawaii for a bit over a week on vacation and then Christmas happened, but work is underway again. Engine is basically assembled now, save for a hose. Should hopefully be able to send the ECU for programming in the next week I hope!

New brakes and a new windshield also going to happen in the next few days as well. :)

2gr_incar3.jpg

2gr_incar4.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Well a couple major milestones have been passed today. After filling all of the fluids and bleeding the clutch it fired up first try! I even managed to drive it inside the shop a bit! It's slowly coming together! After driving the car a bit I think I will need to adjust the clutch pedal a bit as well.

2gr_started_cluster1.jpg

See it in action in this super lame video!

I'm getting so excited to be able to properly drive it and feel what the car should have felt like from the factory. :cool:

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Finally got the stopping parts of this swap in yesterday, I had really wanted to go with the GS350/RC350 2-piece 14-inch brakes, but I didn't want to be forced to run 18-inch wheels in the winter (plus needing 2 new sets of wheels, 2 new sets of tires, a new spare wheel and tire, etc.), and so I stuck with the 4-piston aluminum monoblock caliper 13-inch brakes from the IS350/GS350 that will clear 17-inch wheels. They're more than enough for what I do with the car, if it ever becomes a track car that may change, who knows. :) I'm using the stock F-Sport/high-friction Textar T4146 brake pads, they dust a lot, but the initial bite they provide combined with the low noise is a fantastic combination.

Just need the shims to come in from California to get these installed.

brake_parts1.jpg

Also got the new windshield installed as well so I can finally get the cowl and wiper linkage put back in place. :)

no.2_windshield.jpg

Jeff