Is this too much play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Are the fins hitting the housing (it looks like they are). and yes that looks like allot more play than my smoking ct had. you might have an issue on your hands.

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
MDCmotorsports;1525721 said:
Fill with pressurized oil. Test again with dial read out gauges. Report back what the gauges read.

So something should be taken that seems to have way too much play, put on a car and ran? and if something happens it'll be warrantied?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
supraman502;1526019 said:
So something should be taken that seems to have way too much play, put on a car and ran? and if something happens it'll be warrantied?

I know of no warranty that you speak of. I have NOT told you to install the turbo. I said fill with pressurized oil and then check with a dial indicator.

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
hvyman;1526025 said:
How hard have you been pulling on it?

not very hard

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

MDCmotorsports;1526075 said:
I know of no warranty that you speak of. I have NOT told you to install the turbo. I said fill with pressurized oil and then check with a dial indicator.

So how does the average joe do that?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
To pressurize:

A.) Use a syringe filled with oil inserted into the oil feed of the turbo charger bearing housing
B.) Install the oil feed line to the engine. Remove the EFI fuse from the engine to prevent it from running. Crank the engine over to produce oil pressure through the system and turbo charger.

To use dial indicator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_1ySs7liS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AKA76qGvQ

There's more, you just have to search. You'll need to measure radial and axial play.

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
MDCmotorsports;1526542 said:
To pressurize:

A.) Use a syringe filled with oil inserted into the oil feed of the turbo charger bearing housing
B.) Install the oil feed line to the engine. Remove the EFI fuse from the engine to prevent it from running. Crank the engine over to produce oil pressure through the system and turbo charger.

To use dial indicator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_1ySs7liS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AKA76qGvQ

There's more, you just have to search. You'll need to measure radial and axial play.

so your saying its not too much play and once its pressurized it will be fine?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

aljordan;1526915 said:
All the turbos I've ever *felt* the clearance on have been enough to feel, but not enough to easily see. I feel that turbo is no good and has way too much clearance. I don't know if oil can take up that much "slack".

Thats where the concern comes from, I've bought new turbos from turbonetics and precision and they had nowhere near this amount of play. I'm just trying to figure out if it needs to be sold as "ready to boost" or "needs rebuilt"

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
I don't know what radial oil clearance numbers are considered good, but I'd say it's likely between .004 and .010 inches. That looks to be about quadruple that if not more. I would sell the turbo as "needs rebuilt" as it's much much more than any good turbo I've ever seen.

supraman502

not lazy, just dont care
Apr 8, 2005
louisville, KY
I guess close the thread since the builder cant answer a simple enough question without dancing around it. Typical work and answers I've grown to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.