Is this the starter?

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
because that 12 volts is before you turn the key. your starter requires high amperage to start and if you have a bad battery, it wont supply the right voltage/amperage under load thus making the "clicking" sound.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I havent figured out the starter issues with this car. I have new contacts and it still just "clicks" when its cold. I have to roll the car and then let go of the clutch to just move everything. Then it will start.

Bad battery will do it. Or if its not charged enough.

I have a brand new gel cell battery. Still does it. I swapped one from another vehicle and it still does it. Just warning you that the problem could be anything. Next thing i may try are new battery cables.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
What if it only clicks once and won't start, would that be the starter? Mine does this a couple times a week. After trying for about 5 minutes I always get it to start though.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
just let the car roll slightly then let go of the clutch in gear. Just to move the crank slightly. Then try to start again. Works almost every time.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Brewster said:
What if it only clicks once and won't start, would that be the starter? Mine does this a couple times a week. After trying for about 5 minutes I always get it to start though.

that sounds like the starter contacts ....they commonly wear out...there is a R&R kit for them but most people just get a new starter.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I purchased a new battery today and wow... car turned over instantly... (before with the "dead" battery it would take like 5 seconds of cranking, now I turn the key and it is on.. now my fuel injector is leaking :( thank god I am swaping it soon