is this the signs of warped turbo shaft?

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
so i recently dropped in a 1989 fully rebuilt 7mgte into my 1988 na chassis. i bought the engine off of a friend with estimated 30,000kms on it. mods are:
the hks 2.0 mhg and drift motion ss braded main oil feed line that goes in after the pump.
cooleeze 2.5'' ic and piping with greddy type r bov.
lexus afm and rc 550 injectors
stock oil cooler and a used dual pass haste rad i bought off of spaniard from sm.
walbro fuelpump
bosch dual electric fans
removed egr
brand new toyota clutch
turbosmart manual boost controller

the initial start up was good. everything running great and all fluids topped up. but the rad i bought was repaired by "professionals" and they killed 9 fins and used apoxy to fill in the holes. well the apoxy melted and my coolant leaked while on the highway not realizing what happened because the highspeed kept the coolant gauge normal. so i get off and see my gauge clime drastically and redlines i shut it off and open the hood to find my fans didnt kick in because the wires melted. so i wait for it to cool and drive back home with the heater on full blast keeping the coolant temp down.
i install stock hydrofan and do a quick rad patch job as i try to deal with spaniard but no luck.
i also bought new rad cap and 183 F thermostat and now at 3,000- 4,000 rpm my car shutters and vibrates like crazy under boost. its not the transmission or drive shaft or diff. its something mechanical. anyways im scared what damage i have done. the turbo also now makes a whining noise as i reach 3,000-4000 rpm, almost like someone is dropping a bomb.

Last edited:

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Just pull off the acordian hose and grab onto the compressor wheel. If its super floppy side to side & in+out the turbo is toast. the wining noise could be the wheel hitting the housing. Maybe even check for a BHG just for a peace of mind since it did get hot.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
yep, the shaft is warped. i find little play shaft going vertical up and down then i turn the shaft qaurter turn and there is even more shaft play. not hitting the housing though

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
twan;1626548 said:
so i recently dropped in a 1989 fully rebuilt 7mgte into my 1988 na chassis. i bought the engine off of a friend with estimated 30,000kms on it. mods are:
the hks 2.0 mhg and drift motion ss braded main oil feed line that goes in after the pump.
cooleeze 2.5'' ic and piping with greddy type r bov.
lexus afm and rc 550 injectors
stock oil cooler and a used dual pass haste rad i bought off of wardog from sm.
walbro fuelpump
bosch dual electric fans
removed egr
brand new toyota clutch
turbosmart manual boost controller

the initial start up was good. everything running great and all fluids topped up. but the rad i bought was repaired by "professionals" and they killed 9 fins and used apoxy to fill in the holes. well the apoxy melted and my coolant leaked while on the highway not realizing what happened because the highspeed kept the coolant gauge normal. so i get off and see my gauge clime drastically and redlines i shut it off and open the hood to find my fans didnt kick in because the wires melted. so i wait for it to cool and drive back home with the heater on full blast keeping the coolant temp down.
i install stock hydrofan and do a quick rad patch job as i try to deal with wardog but no luck.
i also bought new rad cap and 183 F thermostat and now at 3,000- 4,000 rpm my car shutters and vibrates like crazy under boost. its not the transmission or drive shaft or diff. its something mechanical. anyways im scared what damage i have done. the turbo also now makes a whining noise as i reach 3,000-4000 rpm, almost like someone is dropping a bomb.

I know this is not me because i never sold/owned a haste 2 row radiator. Even though i would like one :) but who are you talking about.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
yep so i finally reinstalled a other turbo. and when i took the old one off, it was clear that it overheated. the fins were white i could almost whipe it off but it was stuck on there good. and same with the o2 sensor. thats replaced now too
p1629510_1.jpg

lesson learned here? yep...

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
really? because i have three used turbos. one i just bought wasnt white, another spare one needing a rebuild isnt white and now the one in the pic came with my 7mgte. and it wasnt white before