is this how the cps is supposed to sit on head?

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
So I recently found after finding oil leaking from my cps(cam position sensor) that there was no o-ring on it. So i ordered oring from driftmotion just wondering if this is how the cps, oring, and engine head are supposed to mate as its not sitting flush. Thanks

1ifotl.jpg

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
jetjock;1915535 said:
Think about how O rings work...
I would think an o-ring would have to be compressed for it to work effectively, which it is being if i tighten the cps bolt. but I also noticed there was no groove on the cps for o-ring to seat which i thought was necessary for o-ring location ?
I just dont want to create a bigger leak than I already have.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You are correct about compression but wrong about the groove. That said I always used a gasket on my CPS in addition to the O ring because, at least in this application, gaskets have a much longer service life. Lastly, your O ring has either been stretched or is the wrong size.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
jetjock;1915544 said:
You are correct about compression but wrong about the groove. That said I always used a gasket on my CPS in addition to the O ring because, at least in this application, gaskets have a much longer service life. Lastly, your O ring has either been stretched or is the wrong size.
great so are you saying this is the proper location for it? when i looked in the tsrm I didn't see any gasket for the cps. Are you suggesting i use a gasket maker? thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. When you pull it out there is a grove that the o ring goes on and seals in side the hole of head.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
when i went to my toyota dealership they told me i had to buy the whole cps for $300.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
jetjock;1915584 said:
O ring goes in the groove on the left in the third illustration down:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=23

As for the gasket there isn't a factory one. If one is made be sure it doesn't result in bending loads on the bracket.

When you made yours did you make it the size of the whole bracket? I would imagine it would be the only surefire way to make sure the CPS sits correctly and you don't place any unwanted loads on the shaft.

Great idea. A rubber o-ring is a horrible solution for a seal in an area that gets so much heat. Almost every supra I have come across needed it replaced.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
My original O-ring lasted 19years I cant complain, cant expect it to last forever. Besides its like $2 from Toyota. P/N 90099-14088

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
jetjock;1915584 said:
O ring goes in the groove on the left in the third illustration down:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=23

As for the gasket there isn't a factory one. If one is made be sure it doesn't result in bending loads on the bracket.

So i went to take out the cps to try to put it in the oring in the groove you suggested. picture 1: cps without oring looks like that metal ring is where oring should go ? , picture 2 : cps with oring over groove : picture 3: shows the measurement of the oring which was 1.25" . If i try slipping it in with oring over groove like picture 2 it just slides to the back like in the first post. Is it a wrong size or am I missing something. Thanks

22dibr.jpg

rr41hs.jpg

2r70voj.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The first pic has the oring installed.

The second pic has a oring over the oring already on there.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
No.. Thats a rubber o ring that has seen heat every day for years. Rubber does get hard from heat you know.

What you're missing is the step of removing the old o ring. Trust me, I had to fight to get that thing off, and IIRC it cracked in half, rather than slid off the shaft.