is this compressor surge?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
OK, this brings up my new angle to check out.
I did try that with the vacuum hose. The valve is actuating. I can verify that ... with the hood up. The vacuum hose may be getting pinched with the hood down.....maybe?

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
I have the Greddy Sport Turbo and have had the compressor surge noise with my stock bov. I upgraded the bov to the HKS ssqv and am still getting it, but not as bad. Compressor surgeing is definetly more severe at low boost. After vehicle is warmed up and shifting occurs at higher boost (no raised boost) the surging is disappated. Is there any way to adjust these newer HKS SSQV bov? Also that sound clip in the beginning of this post should be saved under frequently asked questions.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
isnms said:
OK, this brings up my new angle to check out.
I did try that with the vacuum hose. The valve is actuating. I can verify that ... with the hood up. The vacuum hose may be getting pinched with the hood down.....maybe?

That's a possibility with the Bosch since the vac port is on the top. Mine had looked like it was getting kinked by the hood but not enough to choke it off.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I adjusted it so I'm sure that the vacuum hose is not being crimped. It did not help.
still looking for a solution:
8psi boost
my intake system:
k&n filter > stock afm > stock accordion hose > 50trim ct26 > 2"ic hardpipe > cartech ic series2 > 2.5"ic hardpipe > bosch 110 recirc. valve > throttle body

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Solution: Seems to be fixed. I now have dual bov's. Bosch 110 recirculation valve and Blitz SS atmospheric bov. I no longer hear the compressor surge, either because it's fixed or the bov drowns it out :) It's really not that loud and I don't hear the compressor surge anymore.
8psi is 8psi but I have increased the volume of air, (larger turbo, ic and ic pipes) that is at 8psi and the bosch could not release that volume of air.

edit: Thanks to all for all the help

afein

Apr 27, 2005
not trying to argue but, 8 psi on one turbo, will not flow the same as 8 psi on another turbo.. this is a fact. a bigger turbo will flow more air and make more power at a specific psi. otherwise why would anyone upgrade their turbo..?

Scott A

1TuffSupra said:
Not trying to argue either, just trying to make conversation. But we had a huge topic about this over in the dsm forums, and the conclusion was that 8psi is in fact 8psi. Yes a larger turbo at 8psi is not in its efficiency range, but since that larger turbo isnt in its efficiency range it is pushing out 8psi at a much lower temp than the smaller ct which IS in its efficiency range. Of course colder air means more oxygen molecules which in turn means more power per lb of boost. I might be wrong, but that was the general consensus

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
BOVs can get dirty. Everytime I go home on leave, I have to clean my Blitz BOV. I can take it off, and it will work if I manually push it in and out, but will not function on the car. I wash it in gasoline, put it back together, and problem is solved.

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
Here was the culprit for my HKS SSQV, it came w/ the kit.

Attachments

• DSC01241.JPG
    DSC01241.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 28

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
HAHAHA!!! I wouldn't doubt it... I was using it as a reducer, which it is designed to work as. Bad idea...
I thought I left you over in technical...