is this a problem

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
I bought an autopower rollcage which didn't fit to begin with, now I'm being told my harness bar is too low and therefore dangerous? any suggestions? would it be safe to get another bar welded higher or would my only option be to get another roll bar
sm_photo_missing.jpg

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
did an offical tell you its dangerus because ive heard alot of people say that but i dont see how other then the belts stretching to far but thats only if the belts where conected at the back seat. as far as im concerned the whole it will shove you down in and accident is bs.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, this is how I think about low-mounted harness bars. If the seatback fails in an accident--or if your shoulders are higher than the harness holes in the seats--the seatbelt will be transferring the energy of the accident into a downward pressure on your shoulders/back. This has the potential to turn a semi-bad accident into a lifelong back problem.

It would seem the lower the harness bar, the higher the risk for severe injury.

By the way, how do you like your autopower rollbar so far?

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
I wish I had never bought this damn thing, what a waste of money to start out with the rear mounts were wrong, I don't know if there's a difference between the 86.5's rear shock towers and ever other supra model but I had to get someone to cut and re-weld the back legs and then the "harness bar" is too low it'll probably end up scrap metal which sucks because that's alot of friggen money down the tube. I should've just started out by getting a pro to fab up a cage.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Whre are your belts actually secured? It looks as if they are bolted to the floor in that pic, unless theres alot of excess belt hangin to the floor.

If they are bolted to the floor, then yes, it shoudl be changed. It doesnt look as if its so much that the bar is too high, but that the belt holes in the seat is too high.

You could also look into buying a harness bar from MDC. It might be able to be used in conjuction with the cage.

Either way, the shoulder belts should never be secured to the actual floor.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
whenmunkysfly said:
did an offical tell you its dangerus because ive heard alot of people say that but i dont see how other then the belts stretching to far but thats only if the belts where conected at the back seat. as far as im concerned the whole it will shove you down in and accident is bs.

and youre qualified to say something like that.. how? not trying to be sarcastic, id like to know.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
lagged said:
and youre qualified to say something like that.. how? not trying to be sarcastic, id like to know.
keeping in mind i do drive racecars a lot so i have expenrince around haresses and what they can do (not always personal). i didnt say i was qualifyed just said i hear it alot from people and in my opiton its bs. if your shoulder sits higher then the belt holes then yes i can see a problem but if they dont then the seat should keep you from getting hurt from this. maybe i should add this next time...just my 2 cents

edit: yes they are suposs to connect to the bar not the floor is this just because of the long belts?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
whenmunkysfly said:
keeping in mind i do drive racecars a lot so i have expenrince around haresses and what they can do (not always personal). i didnt say i was qualifyed just said i hear it alot from people and in my opiton its bs. if your shoulder sits higher then the belt holes then yes i can see a problem but if they dont then the seat should keep you from getting hurt from this. maybe i should add this next time...just my 2 cents

edit: yes they are suposs to connect to the bar not the floor is this just because of the long belts?

interesting point about the belt holes in the seat, however they arent mounted TO the seat so it dosnt change the mount mount.

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
OK, I bought some hardcore simpson race belts (oohhhh sexay) and they wrap around the bar so it's no longer bolted to the floor (never meant as a permanant fix). the bar is still too low and even the instructions for the belts say it needs to be mounted 0-10 degrees of lower than the shoulder. I'm very concerned about safety so if it means I'll need to spend more to save my self I'll do it... man this roll bar has become a huge pita.
offtopic: best shoe ever http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=335&prod_id=6162

Last edited: