Is this a good first car?

Kcband

Feb 22, 2012
Snohomish
I have 4000 for a car and 1500 for mods and maintenance. I would just like to know anything I should know about the toyota supra. I am also looking at a mk2 mr2 and maybe a 3000gt SL but that is FWD so I dont know about that one. Ill be 17 when I get a car and will have had my license for a year.

Thanks
Also if there are any other cars I should add to my list please tell me

suprakid93

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Sterling IL
terrible first car because all you wanna do is make it nicer, faster and better. So you never have any money to do anything else cause your making your car faster and breaking things too. But if you have money. GO for it

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Terrible first car because you will be spending most of your money keeping it running. These are 20 year old cars that have been severely neglected if they are in the $4000 or less range. Expect to spend $100 on maintenance before adding any go fast parts at all. Buy a camry and spend the rest of your money on chasing tail.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1st car should be something cheap and reliable so you can gain experience driving, NOT a money pit that you might get to drive in a year or two after spending every cent you can find to repair and get it running properly.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Same shit different bucket...

Buy something cheap/newer/reliable, consider it as a DD then pick up a "toy" later on, for now you want something to actually drive and not be working on 99% of the time.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Supra28;1808122 said:
If you really want a MKIII, just get a n/a for now. :p

At best it's going to be a 20 year old car.... :nono:

NA's will have ALL of the same inherent issues as a GTE from being poorly maintained, the kid could buy a cheap relatively modern undesirable car for very little money use that as his DD/Learn how to actually drive car and have some $ left over for a project car.

NOTHING sucks more than a car you can't drive if it's your only car.

I'm thinking Hyundai/Geo something along those lines, doesn't matter what it is as long as it's reliable and gets from A to B and back again, 9 times out of 10 a first car ends up as scrap anyway.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
I bought a 1986.5 N/A Supra as my first car. It was cheap too - only $1600. It runs superbly, as the previous owner serviced the head gasket (along with the rest of the engine top end...) with proper head-bolt tq. specs. It has its problems, as any 25 and a half year old car would. Overall, over the last 4 and a half months that I've owned it, it's been very reliable. I've had to service the clutch master and slave cylinders, and the power steering pressure line. I'm also about to do a full tune up.

I dunno. Maybe my car is a needle in the haystack. I love it - as a first car, for me, it's wunderbar. It makes me smile every time I drive. Not like some drab, and dreary Civic/Corolla/Geo/Hyundai/whatever.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kcband;1808098 said:
I have 4000 for a car and 1500 for mods and maintenance. I would just like to know anything I should know about the toyota supra. I am also looking at a mk2 mr2 and maybe a 3000gt SL but that is FWD so I dont know about that one. Ill be 17 when I get a car and will have had my license for a year.

Thanks
Also if there are any other cars I should add to my list please tell me

No to Supra (old, money pit)
No to MK1 MR2 (same shit, different car)
No to MKII MR2 (you're not going to find one for that price that isn't a pile of shit)
No to 3000GT (it's old, complicated, and have as many issues as the Supras had if not more)

Not to mention the MR2's would be TERRIBLE first cars because of their odd handling characteristics.

One word for you: Honda

No, really. They're not so cheap that they're worthless if you ever have to resell it. Their aftermarket is massive (meaning everything from maintenance to making it a race car is available and cheap).

There's tons of other options as well (hyundai, kia...). I spent more that your entire budget just on buying my car, and it's a pile :rofl:

jfreeman

3.0 7MGE
Sep 29, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
poodles hit the nail on the head

Seriously all the classic japanese sports cars such as the Supras, 3000GTs, mr2s, etc, have had very hard lives and will need a lot of tlc to get back to their former glory. They don't make good first cars because of the obvious reliability issues, you would end up spending a lot more money than you would hope keeping it running/getting it running.

Best thing to do would get a cheap beater car to drive as your first that you can learn with, and later down the road you can get a classic to make a project car out of

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Honestly its up to you. Just be prepared for the worst. Im sure if you get it, it wont last long.
My first 2 cars were both Honda Accords and Im on my second Supra now. Supras takes a lot of money to maintain, as long as you have a steady income then do whatever makes you happy. Im just saying, if you want it to be reliable, you're gonna spend just as much as you're getting the for to keep it in good running conditions.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I say buy it. It's your first car and if you are actually serious about developing any type of skill with handling a real sports car, then this is a very good choice. It is a totally different thing to drive a front wheel drive car. And how, may I ask all you people suggesting hondas, how do you drift a front wheel drive!? LOL but seriously be responsible. Driving a car is dangerous if you don't know the rules of the road. Be smart. Learn everything first. But I also truly believe that you will become a better driver (in the rear wheel drive world) by getting your initial experiance with a rwd. Knowing how it handles. Knowing how it feels to drive it. Because if you were to buy a beater honda and learn on it that would just be a waste. Because when you went to buy a real car(after you decide the first car is done) you wouldn't know how to handle it. You would have to learn all over again. Keep it simple. Buy a rwd.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
It's got very little to do with FWD Vs RWD at this point it's more about learning to drive and getting some sort of situational awareness happening and that will happen no matter the platform, all it takes is seat time, something that may not happen if he buys an older car.

I'm NOT saying don't buy a Supra, what I'm saying is don't buy it and expect it to be your only car/transportation as most of them are fucked beyond belief if they've been owned by young guys that have NFI, we see it here ALL the time...

As for "Real Sports Car" get a grip at best it's a big Fat GT car... :nono:

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
Poodles;1808133 said:
No to Supra (old, money pit)
No to MK1 MR2 (same shit, different car)
No to MKII MR2 (you're not going to find one for that price that isn't a pile of shit)
No to 3000GT (it's old, complicated, and have as many issues as the Supras had if not more)

Not to mention the MR2's would be TERRIBLE first cars because of their odd handling characteristics.

One word for you: Honda

No, really. They're not so cheap that they're worthless if you ever have to resell it. Their aftermarket is massive (meaning everything from maintenance to making it a race car is available and cheap).

There's tons of other options as well (hyundai, kia...). I spent more that your entire budget just on buying my car, and it's a pile :rofl:

10048338.jpg

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Just use the money for a down payment on a new car, chicks dig new cars not old cars. The new Subaru BRZ is comming out and the Hyundai genisus seems like a sweet car and you can get it turbo...

Project-X

Jan 4, 2008
Toronto
Save your money don't waste it on cars. go and buy yourself a honda civic, toyota camry or tercel, or maybe a cheap domestic.

Save for a house then buy a supra! then you can store it when its broken :)

BUT if you really want to buy a supra or project car after everyone here advised against it then be very picky in what you buy, bring someone who knows what they are looking for in a car. There is nothing worst then finding out you bought a POS just because you were to excited to really give the car a good look over before you take it home.