Is this a deal?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Sorry if posting an ad is taboo, just hoping to get a few quick opinions or a heads up on possible red flags with this car.
Assuming it actually has a BHG, is it still a worthwhile project? The guy said the rad blew a leak and it ran hot. He limped home and when it cooled off, started it and circled the yard, no knocking. He has let it sit for a year and is now just wanting to let it go. He isn't a supra guy or really even a car guy, and only knows what BHG stands for after taking a couple of calls on it, LOL. He's an older guy who was given the car by the original owner's widow after helping her move. He has the original buyer's order from 12/88 so it's an early 89 FWIW.
Seems like he's honest, if a little uninformed...
Just thinking a sub 100k mile turbo targa has to be worth SOMETHING, right?

Thoughts?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/3419594948.html

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Can't really tell what condition it's in.

It looks like the antenna is busted, and the paint is going. If it has a great interior and the outside just needs a good wash, it's worth it. If the paint has lost all it's clearcoat or the interior is shit, then no.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
personally, I think it's worth it so long as the interior is decent and the exterior doesn't have rust.. I only say that because it has low miles.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
The listing is in the Atlanta CL but he's actually on the SE corner of the state, really closer to Jacksonville, FL
The interior is dirty but not worn. Gray cloth, the obligatory piping coming from the driver seat bolster but no fading or holes. Dash is perfect, carpet would clean up nicely too. Steering wheel and console lid would need to go. The paint is dirty and weathered but doesn't look like the clear is dead. It would probably clean up very well. Thinking the antenna mast was probably mangled by the tarp he had over it. Moulding is good, etc.
All in all, it's probably a superb project car for someone who wants to do their own work but I think all I'm after is a parts car. The owner is a Jimmy Buffett type, very laid back and nothing shady about him, just a guy who would probably be more at home with a Westfalia camper than an MK3 turbo. He said he would take 1200 for it while I was there but I don't really care to build a great car, I just want to plunder a corpse and I think this one has too much potential to be stripped and junked. I'd feel like I was wasting it. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Iruyle, if you are planning on a parts car, I'd suggest something a little further gone. That car does appear to be in decent shape. $1200 is about right in my eyes, assuming the car is still rust-free. Even at $1800, if the thing is in good shape aside from normal wear/tear, then you're getting a possibly really good car. Surely needs some TLC, but sometimes you get lucky and end up with a really good car. My 88 that I bought 6 years ago was exactly that. Bought it with a blown radiator (remember kids, antifreeze is useful when ambient temps drop to -25°F) and a BHG, put about $2000 on top of the $1000 purchase price, and had a really nice car after all was said and done. :)

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
te72;1893237 said:
Iruyle, if you are planning on a parts car, I'd suggest something a little further gone. That car does appear to be in decent shape. $1200 is about right in my eyes, assuming the car is still rust-free. Even at $1800, if the thing is in good shape aside from normal wear/tear, then you're getting a possibly really good car. Surely needs some TLC, but sometimes you get lucky and end up with a really good car.

Thanks, Brad. You're in my head.
I hunt shells alot and I've never given more than $1000 for one. Too many cheap cars out there that will still move under their own power to pay more than a grand for a donor. After sleeping on it (and coming down from the 5 hours I spent going to see it, envisioning a cherry specimen), I decided that to be perfect for me, this car would actually require a parts car on the side. This is the one that you would donate to, not the one you would strip. Thanks for the input, all.
And if anyone wants a good foundation, you won't trip over me if you decide to hit this guy up. ;)