Is there a wrong way to install a clutch?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I have a southbend 6 puch clutch and it feels lighter than stock and while I havent stressed its holding capabilities, it feels off. I know I installed the clutch springs on the correct side, but this was over a year ago so memory is faint. Shouldnt a clutch with 650+ tq capabilities be heavier than the stock PP?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Depends... if they used a stock pressure plate, then all the holding power needs to come from the disc itself, and therefore it will feel stock on the pedal.

However, if they modify a PP, or better yet, design their own, they can do things like change the pivot point for the splines, and mess with the spring weight, making it heavier or lighter than stock.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I have talked to the south bend clutches tech and they said they wont go over a 2300-2500 clamping load on their 7MGTE PP. So yeah the disk is the one making most of the holding itself. As far as running a different performance disk on a stock PP, i have done it many times and 400+ rwtq is very doable. Even with the ebay 6 puck ceramic disk and a Toyota Oem pp for under $200 including new throw out and pilot bearings.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn't go anywhere near RPS after the years of shitting on MKIII owners. Their 3200lb PP is far too much and has caused thrust bearing failures in cars...

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Poodles;1625897 said:
I wouldn't go anywhere near RPS after the years of shitting on MKIII owners. Their 3200lb PP is far too much and has caused thrust bearing failures in cars...

Ive heard of this, BUT I've heard see it happens on startup when their is no oil pressure built up. So people bypass the clutch switch and their usually good or am I missing something?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
People have still had it happen and it's not a risk I'm willing to take. Thrust bearing failure means a COMPLETE rebuild and major damage requiring replacement of a more than just the normal wear items depending on how bad it is.