Is the stock Anti-Theft Adequate?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Has anyone had an MK3 stolen?

My buddy's 300ZX Twin Turbo just got stolen last night and that got me thinking. Is our MK3 stock anti theft adequate? What have y'all done in addition to the factory system? I was thinking about a removable steering wheel, or 'The Club' (which is iffy), pedal lock, etc...

I live in a pretty small area with only about 6 MK3's around so we don't hear alot about them getting stolen. Is this a problem elsewhere?

What have y'all done and what can I do for added security?

In the pursuit of preserving all MK3's...I thank you! :icon_bigg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
a minute of sawing will eliminate the club.
you can use it with a clutch lock if you want to be cheap...
i actually didnt know the stock alarm system worked until i set it off accidentally one day.. its pretty useless imho someone can smash the window and unlock the door (which they usually do anyway)

i added a fuel pump kill switch on the ground. not like it does much if someone can find the switch.. but it does take more time. especially if its well hidden or in the glove box or wherever.

usually if someone is stealing a supra they just want it for a ride i would guess. and if they see something of value they would take it off and try to sell it or just use it.

you could also take measures to unplug sensors in the bay, if they are unfamiliar with the engine they wont know where to look. also fuses would delay time..

of course if they had a tow truck they could just tow it away :) (ive seen it happen,and you never see the car again)

there was also a local guy with an integra that had his garage broken into (they broke into the maintenance closet at his apartments and drilled a hole above the door opener, they then stole his car and stripped it like many hondas are stripped)

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, a number of Supras have been stolen and stripped. Most (all that I can remember, anyway) were hotwired and driven away.

A simple switch, wired into the fuel pump power line, and concealed somewhere will solve the problem. IMO every car should have one of these.

PS: Don't tell anyone about the switch or it's location.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Hey Grim! How ya been...get your driver's seat done yet? I'm still considering doing the same thing. If my interior wasn't near flawless, I'd be doing that too. Man I like what you've done!

Yeah, I think I'll do the fuel pump switch thing. That sounds best!

Thanks guys...

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
tlo86;1030900 said:
i actually didnt know the stock alarm system worked until i set it off accidentally one day.. its pretty useless imho someone can smash the window and unlock the door (which they usually do anyway)
Im not sure if all of the models are the same but I had a 89 and now have a 91 and both of them would set off the alarm if you didnt unlock it with the key. If the top is off and someone reached in and unloked it, poped the hood, or the hatch the horn starts blowing, lights flash, and also disables the starter. now that is not a huge problem if they know how to hotwire it because it can still be push started. those sensors in the door locks go out over time and I was 1200 miles from home when it happened so I was doing some pushing!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
thebuddrik;1031006 said:
Im not sure if all of the models are the same but I had a 89 and now have a 91 and both of them would set off the alarm if you didnt unlock it with the key. If the top is off and someone reached in and unloked it, poped the hood, or the hatch the horn starts blowing, lights flash, and also disables the starter. now that is not a huge problem if they know how to hotwire it because it can still be push started. those sensors in the door locks go out over time and I was 1200 miles from home when it happened so I was doing some pushing!

my 88 does the same thing, if you unlock it from the inside with the doors closed. pretty cool i think. i didn't know about it disabling the starter tho.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I haven't had any of that trouble yet. Mine seems to work fine. All the sensors trip when they're supposed to AND don't when they're not supposed to. :)

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
haha reminds me of when we took dads to the shop and they replaced the high pressure powersteering hose haha. they accidently locked it, then started working on it alarm went off so they disconnected the battery, when they got it done they couldnt get it to turn over so dad unlocked the door with the key and backed it off the lift. It was just funny seeing the redneck that worked there think he messed it up

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
my alarm is whack, it goes off when it wants too, just randomly. I have a starter kill switch but its in a weird location, the glove box is a cool place to have it, but its weird reaching over to push the button when people are in the car with you.

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
paint it pink with a dildo shifter. thats the best anti theft u can have. :|:naughty: jk

im upgrading my alarm system with a 2 way pager, starter kill, etc etc.

i also live in a city/town with 110,000 people. there is only like 5 turbo mk3's and 3 NA's ive seen one that doesnt run but that dont count :)

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when i lived in newark, i used to just take out the efi fuse and used the club when i had to park on the street overnight. i know too many people who have gotten their car stolen in front of the house, so i was a bit paranoid. luckily never happened to me
-pete

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
my supra had a kill switch under the dash in line with the igniton. if the chip wasn't in it no start. however they smashed the whole igniton cylinder off the steering column and got around the switch. car was used in a string of break and enters and armed robberies before being t-boned by the cops.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The factory alarm is garbage.
The factory ignition and door locks could be owned by three keys.

Even the best alarm wont stop a thief from towing your car or bashing the interior (vandalism) because they cant steal your car.

I know you cant leave a bull dog in your car 100% of the time or buy stickdeath.com alarm system. things that do work.

Putting air bags in your car and slaming it to the ground so it cant be stolen or moved unless they raise your car.

Kill switches in the fuel pump

The 100% best thing to do is clone a pocket PC phone with GPS technology enabled with Google tracking software free. Hide it in your car plugged into a 12VDC source to keep the battery charged.

Run remote desktop for your pocket pc phone and locate your car as soon as it is missing call the cops and tell them where to pick up your car!

If it haves a camera enabled you could even watch their faces when a cop beats the crap out of them.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I'd say yes.

If someone really wants your car, they'll drag it onto a flatbed and drive away in under 2 minutes. Once it's inside their shop, who cares what sort of switch you've hidden away. Lojack won't even help. I've seen towtrucks pulling a car with it's alarm going off. Did anyone even look? No.

Or, two guys, a closed trailer, and four dollies makes it disappear quickly. Line the inside with metal and Lojack will not be heard. It's like your car wasn't ever there.

Asterix

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i park mine in the driveway with my mazda blocking it in. also my exhaust is so loud it would wake me up then i would run outside and blow a hole in the guys stomach with 12 gauge shotgun.

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
Asterix;1035667 said:
I'd say yes.

If someone really wants your car, they'll drag it onto a flatbed and drive away in under 2 minutes. Once it's inside their shop, who cares what sort of switch you've hidden away. Lojack won't even help. I've seen towtrucks pulling a car with it's alarm going off. Did anyone even look? No.

Or, two guys, a closed trailer, and four dollies makes it disappear quickly. Line the inside with metal and Lojack will not be heard. It's like your car wasn't ever there.

Asterix

seem to know a lot about car jacking there my friend....:sarcasm:

Who

Supramania Contributor
I worked with a guy who lived in New York and he used a club in his car. One night they opened the door and cut the club into several pieces and just left it on his dash. I guess the message was "How dare you"