Is the 7mgte an interference motor

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You heard correct, the 7M motor is a non-interference engine.

(TONY! the ninja was here, saw him and then he vanished! :p)

Last edited:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i dont know the technical terms, but in lay-speak it means that the valves CAN NOT come in to contact with the pistons.

for example, if your timing belt breaks while the motor is running, the only thing that will happen is your motor will stall.

with an interferance motor, youll get bent valves and loose lots of cash for repairs.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
On an interference motor the valves occupy the same space as the piston, at different times obviously. When the piston is down the valves are open, when the piston is up, the valves are closed. This balancing at is kept in check by the timing belt. If the timing belt slips or breaks with the valves in the open position the piston can come up and slam into the valves, causing extensive motor damage. This is why it is so important to change the timing belt at proper intervals on cars with interference motors like the Mitsubishi Eclipse.

The 7M is a non-interference motor so you don't have to worry about damaging the internals if the belt slips of breaks. But it's still important to replace the belt at proper intervals.

Interference- If the timing belt slips or breaks the motor is fubard, and $$$$ to fix.

Non-interference- If the timing belt slips or breaks you might be stranded and walking home but other wise the engine will survive. Just the cost of a new belt to fix.

edit:lagged- one step ahead of me

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
when you get high lift cams and such can you make a non interferance engine into an interfirance engine? how much lift would that take on a 7m?

hotsup

Jan 24, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
goldenchild7801 said:
I heard the 7mgte in a non-interference motor, just wanted to verify with my fellow 7mgte brothers.:icon_bigg
As far as I know Toyota did not & does not build interference engines so I think we're pretty safe with any Toyota engine.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
hotsup said:
As far as I know Toyota did not & does not build interference engines so I think we're pretty safe with any Toyota engine.

I can say from personal experience while on vacation many years back that the 7mgte is DEFINITELY NOT and interferance engine....

I snapped mine in Myrtle Beach SC.... What I CAN also say is that the dealer Folgers Toyota down there was AWESOME. The mechanic really took great care of my supra... They only charged 345$ to replace the broken belt, cam seals and front main oil seal. (mechanic called me and said it would be a good idea) They could have bent me over but didnt. (this was in 96)

V

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
hotsup said:

While Toyota did a pretty good job of not designing very many interference engines, they do have a few black sheep’s in their happy family.

3E 1988-1994
1MZ-FE 1998-2004
3MZ-FE 2004
2UZ-FE 1998-2004
5VZ-FE 1995-2002

These are the only interference engines, I'm aware of, that Toyota brought to the US market. Not very many when compared to some manufactures.

You can find what vehicles they came on in this PDF: http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TBR05.pdf&folder=brochure

It starts on page 21.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
hotsup said:
The newer Sienna that had the 10.8:1 compression was. A new van off the carrier had a check engine light on, and the crank timing pulley was damaged and needed to be removed. Anyway, it was interference. It is still an easy change.