Is my fuel pump dead???

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Ok guys, I own a 1992 supra, 1jzgte, It has a AEM ems, Masterpower T70, MKIV 550cc injectors, Well the car made 422hp at the wheels last year around march, Well the motor took a dump (rodknock) I got another one & went single, I bought all the fuel goodies from Aaron at driftmotion, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 1jz fuel pressure regulator kit, Fuel damper braided line, Well i got everything installed, The car got finished this past august, It started right away, I drove the car for 2 blocks, Let the car seat since august, Now, Chicago has been having really fuking cold weather, I charged the battery & started the car in this weather, The car started right away!! I was very amazed, I heard AEM suck at start-up in cold weather, Well the car was low in gas, I when to Autozone to buy a 5 gallon gas container, Filled it up, Went home pour it in, Car started right up again, Let it run for 30 minutes to atleast charge the battery, I did this for about week, I left the car running & went inside the house to take a quick bite, I go outside & the car is not running, I crank & i cranked it but the car won't run, I pop my hood & see the gauge for the AFPR & it's at zero!!! For a moment i thought to my self................Did i run outta gas??? So there i go to BP amoco & got me some good ole 93 oct....Got home pour the 5 gallons in & go to crank it....
Same shit!!! just turns But doesn't run! AFPR is at Zero! I used to hear the walbro before & i could hear the fuel flow to the regulator, Now is my fuel pump dead or is the AEM not giving power to the fuel pump??? How do i check for power to the fuel pump?

Please help, I am very pissed at the car at the moment.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Check for power at FP on the diag block.

If there isn't power on the diag block jump power (B+) to it.

The ECU is setup to turn it on for a second then turn it off, So you will have to check for power while the engine is cranking or on the initial key turn.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Have you checked your EFI fuse? Also check the connections on the fuel pump relay on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Remember guys, I run a AEM ems & Sound performance here in illinois said something about the AEM not turning the pump & they have to do something, It's been a while so i don't remember what exactly they said, Now, please post pics of what you guys want me to check, chicago is freezing cold at the moment..

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The reason I said to check the EFI is because my car died saturday night out of the blue. I was driving it with my wife and I lost all power. My EFI fuse shot it's wad so the fuel pump wouldn't work. The car would turn over and over and over, but wouldn't get fuel. Just a thought.

SupraKingz

Nov 16, 2007
Winnipeg,Manitoba
It is a possibilty that the plugs are filed right down from just letting it idle for long periods of time. And for the 1jz i've never had an issue starting it in cold weather because our winters over here go as low as -50 Celcius at worst and even in a garage the temp is -30 but can you still here the pump whine or anything?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
No if the efi fuse is blown then it wouldn't work at all. But, I assumed he checked via the laptop that the ecu was syncing up and everything was as it should. If you dont have a laptop, just make sure the tach does the little wiggle when you crank it. It means the ecu is sync'd and sending ignition signals to the igniter (i.e. working).

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Jackass418;1208711 said:
It is a possibilty that the plugs are filed right down from just letting it idle for long periods of time. And for the 1jz i've never had an issue starting it in cold weather because our winters over here go as low as -50 Celcius at worst and even in a garage the temp is -30 but can you still here the pump whine or anything?

I'm running a AEM ems, They suck at cold weather start-up.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
tissimo;1208745 said:
No if the efi fuse is blown then it wouldn't work at all. But, I assumed he checked via the laptop that the ecu was syncing up and everything was as it should. If you dont have a laptop, just make sure the tach does the little wiggle when you crank it. It means the ecu is sync'd and sending ignition signals to the igniter (i.e. working).

My laptop took a shit a few weeks ago, I do see the HKS DLI turn on & i see the needle wiggle, I used to hear the pump sorta whine.... If it wasn't this fuking cold i would swap the pump in 15 minutes...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
suprahero;1208546 said:
Have you checked your EFI fuse? Also check the connections on the fuel pump relay on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Can you post a pic of the where the EFI fuse is at?

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
WeDgE;1211444 said:
Wow...

Check the underhood fusebox...

I wanted to make sure i was checking the right stuff smartass... Every fuse looks good, AEM has powered, The HKS DLI is powering up, I used to hear the fuel pump prime itself as soon as i turn the key on to powered the AEM...

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Jostar;1211473 said:
I wanted to make sure i was checking the right stuff smartass... Every fuse looks good, AEM has powered, The HKS DLI is powering up, I used to hear the fuel pump prime itself as soon as i turn the key on to powered the AEM...

Not being a smartass, just figured a guy that's singled and EMS'd his JZ motor would know where the EFI fuse is. Also, I'm pretty sure the TSRM lists fuse locations...just FYI. :)

Could also test voltage across the EFI fuse and on the + wire going to the fuel pump.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
WeDgE;1211650 said:
Not being a smartass, just figured a guy that's singled and EMS'd his JZ motor would know where the EFI fuse is. Also, I'm pretty sure the TSRM lists fuse locations...just FYI. :)

Could also test voltage across the EFI fuse and on the + wire going to the fuel pump.

Not a problem brotha, Just the weather sux big ballz, Today the weather was 62 degrees, Now at this moment as i type is starting to snow, Tomorow im gonna do all the testing required to see if i'm getting power to the pump, I think this piece of shit walbro which is brand spanking new took a shit, I swear to god the pump has about 4 blocks! 4 blocks of distance of use & the idling of 30 minutes a day so the battery wouldn't die... If it's dead i'm gonna get a TT Supra pump....

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
suprahero;1208546 said:

The relay is bypassed, I double checked it, EFI fuse is good, The fuel pump is toast!! Gay walbro, Why is it that only supras have problems with walbros??? I had one on my galant vr4 for over 5 years without a problem, What is it??