Is it worth it to part out?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have parted 10 or more of these cars over the past 10 years. I can tell you that the market really sucks today. But, if it is an 89+, you should easily be able to get $800 out of it.

However, I am noticing that you just joined this month, and have only 10 posts. That will not qualify you to sell here, and will leave you with Ebay, and that will cut into your money pretty hard these days.

I'd say fix the car if you get a decent price. Then, I'd advise you to sell it if you need a dependable daily driver. Be aware that if all you do is fix the gasket issue, you may be staring at rod knock shortly down the road. Coolant does not do bearings any favors.

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
sorry to say, but i cant fix the car. he said 1100 with labor and parts, then if the head needs to go to a machine shop its another how many hundred. I cant do that right now and have nowhere to store the car and possibly fix it myself later on. A local guy is hopefully gonna buy it for $800, but he asked me to help him find people who need parts so he is not stuck with an entire car. he basically needs the ecu and possibly trans and engine harness. everything else is fair game.

if you need anything please let me know. i know theres that post number rule in order to sell on here, but unfortunately im in this situation. you can contact me here:

supramania - PM me
email - bassboy3313@yahoo.com
aim - bassboy3313

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
yeah. i hate to do it, but theres no other option for me right now. if i had a place to store it and another vehicle, i would definitely be keeping it and doing the work myself. it seems pretty straight forward. i am just in a tough spot and theres no other roads to take except getting rid of it.

if someone wants to revive her themselves, i would let the whole car go for the $800. then it wouldnt have to be parted out and will still be alive. just a thought.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
For a head gasket? :cry:, I mean these are supra's mate, Did you not ever take that into consideration? In all honestly to get the car running it would cost lest than 200 bucks, Keep in mind now RUNNING. Not running 9's at the track. Its just so sad, Like a mother parting out her baby for stem cell research just because it was born bald. :nono:

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
i got the car as a straight trade for a 240sx project car that ran like shit. the engine was rebuilt, so i took the chance that maybe the head was torqued properly, but obviously not. i am in tough financial times right now and trading for the supra was the best deal i could find. it ran perfect before this happened so suddenly. i just need a car that will get me to school and work. Once i graduate i can then finally get a decent car that i dont have to worry about. im not one of those lucky college students where mommy and daddy buy everything.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
just sell it and quit asking about it, its obvious that you've already made up your mind. Try to sell it as a project car, you'll make about the same amount of money

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The trans (5-Sp), ECU and engine harness (Turbo) could possibly bring $800, or somewhere close. And if it is an 89+ car, you could make another $300-500 from Body Moldings, Tail Lights, Spoiler, and mirrors. After that, it gets time consuming, but could be sold as a shell, or further parted. This is why so many of them get parted.

Edit........I just looked at your profile. Is that a Carbon Fiber hood? What are those black wheels? You are turbo, 5-Speed, so you'd be a fool to sell it for $800

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
bassboy3313;1668621 said:
i got the car as a straight trade for a 240sx project car that ran like shit. the engine was rebuilt, so i took the chance that maybe the head was torqued properly, but obviously not. i am in tough financial times right now and trading for the supra was the best deal i could find. it ran perfect before this happened so suddenly. i just need a car that will get me to school and work. Once i graduate i can then finally get a decent car that i dont have to worry about. im not one of those lucky college students where mommy and daddy buy everything.

Sell your car as you seem to think we all get our parents to buy use parts and pay for our college. 1100 in parts and labor at a "friend's shop?" Good luck with that "friend," if anything, he would work on it after hours with you helping for a lot less. A headgasket and ARP studs then you should just get it milled for peace of mind.

Here is what it would cost.

Head Gasket - 93
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mgtestockheadgasket.php

ARP Studs - 119.25
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-4202.php

Mill To Make Sure Head Is Straight And Not Warped - 100-150
Local Machine Shop

My Machine shop mills a straight six head for 125, I said mill, not throw it on a belt sander and hold it down, yes, machince shops do that.

So the total would be a total of 363, at the most. So 1100 for parts and labor is a rip off. He could help you and let you help him on the work after hours but this doesn't look like a good shop in my opinion.

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
I've had a couple people from other forums interested in the entire car. the mechanic said since we got a huge ass snow blizzard last night that the car can sit at his lot since it is buried in. we will see what happens with these interests. now to find another vehicle for the time being for cheap. hhmmm.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
HEDORAH;1668955 said:
Market is fine for part outs. I'm parting out my super and had 30 responses within 5 hours of the posts.

How many things have you actually sold? Responses are responses, that doesn't mean your parts will sell. MK3 owners, a vast majority, are cheap and are tire kickers. I have more in my interior than most put in their engine.

To the OP

There are a few owners I know on here, CajunKenny, Jostar, 87-1JZ(Sam), SupraClauo, whitemike88, SupraHero and myself are a few owners that actually spend money on their car when talking about an MK3. I know there are a lot I did not metion. I don't get money from Mom and Dad either so I really would not want to hear that, I sell stock parts and know who to sell to and how to sell. I go to school as well and work.

I do have a shop, so I have a good amount of tools but that doesn't mean I can push a customer's car outside and work on mine. You have to make money to stay open. My build thread shows the time and effort along with a glimpse of parts that is going in my car. When I get the engine done I will post an Excel sheet showing my expenses. Am I bragging? No, just stating that it takes a lot of money to do a car the right way....

So until you know you can save the funds to rebuild an MKIII and maintain it, get a good daily driver. I once put 4,300 on a credit card. I assumed I was going to get the money after parts sold and working and I could not pay it off as I wanted to. I ended up paying over a 1000 on interest. I won't be doing that again because it was stupid.

If you don't have the funds to build it, you won't have the funds to keep it running.

I am not trying to be harsh in anyway bit it is how the race car scene works.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
roystunna;1667898 said:
I would only part out an mk3 if the body itself is not worth repairing example: rust, bad bodywork, was in a bad accident and pulled back into shape (which makes it weaker), but if you have a clean body, id keep it and put a MHG on that 7M with some new factory head bolts or ARPs. Clean mk3s are very hard to come by.

+2. I was in that position of fix the body or get a better body( I did the latter). The rear quarters, windshield frame and underbody was ate up with rust. Ironically, the spare tire well was in perfect (read that rust free) shape. Even though I had the parts I needed on another shell, I decided to forego all the work and just get a cleaner starting point. PS, on the subject of the metal gasket/studs, you will be happy with the newfound reliability if the job is done RIGHT the first time.

Edit: just got through reading all the other posts and I see you have decided to part it out. Good luck.

Last edited:

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
If the headgasket is all that's wrong, don't ask, just fix it. Then decide whether to get rid of it. Or, if you didn't pay much for the car to begin with, part the engine components and sell the body, if it's in pretty good shape.

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
i cant fix it, i have nowhere to work on it. i cant have the shop fix it, i dont have enough money. see my frustration? i had someone look at it today and is interested in trading a bmw 320i + cash for it. prolly the only offer ill be getting, so i might go with it. just gotta test drive and check out the bmw first.

bassboy3313

Jan 14, 2011
Wisconsin
supra is in other hands now. i did the bmw trade. the guy is going to fix the head gasket and everything so the supra will be saved. thanks everyone.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I wouldn't part it out. I tried parting out my 93 eclipse turbo and after 2 years of trying to sell the stuff I've only made $900 on the car so far. I could have gotten $2K (easily) selling it whole with a bad clutch and some rust. 6 years ago I could have made about $4000 parting it out in the same condition... but now nobody wants stock parts or even alot of the aftermarket stuff that was popular back then cause it's outdated and/or the market is flooded with people selling the same stuff... everybody slashing their prices lower and lower just to get some money. I'm holding onto some of my parts, cause 15 years from now people will need this stuff and the market will be dried up and it'll all be worth something again.

Should have read to the end.... anyway...

At least there are a ton of BMW's in junkyards everywhere to scavenge parts from. There's probably 20 BMW's in the yards around here for every one supra I see.