IS it worth it? 232,000

Jan 21, 2008
san francisco
Sup my fellow supra brothers n sisters,

i currently have a 89 white turbo. The problem is it has 232,000 miles on it. So far i have put over 3-4k in replacing parts, radiator, shocks, springs, wheel bearings, power steering pump, tires, brakes. etc. There is only 2 tiny rust spot on the spare wheel area. my question is having a 232,000 chassis does it matter? i have over 6k saved to do upgrades but i wanted to ask u guys for ur opinion should i throw more money into it? or get a different supra. Motor currently running pretty strong w/ a valve tick but pulls like crazy. I have no problem rebuilding the motor i just wanted to know should i put more money into the car? cuz i know ill never get the money back. P.s. the windows and trunk rattle like motherfuker. im pretty sure its a common problem for a 20+ year old car. They all can be fix right? 232,000 chassis does it matter?

I apoloize for asking newbie questions but i rather ask from the big boys than the wannabes from toyota dealership

help me :p

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
i think its up to you and your financial status if you want to dump money into your "PROJECT" thats what it should be called cause as it's been said many times on hear having this car as a DD is kind of hard to do, as long as the chassis is rust free i say you are lucky since most are nothing but rust buckets considering which part of the state's you live in. if you really enjoy this as a hobby then fix it when you can and enjoy having a classic car, i bought my first 7mge for 500 bucks couple rust spot's and 216k miles on it.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The only thing with a high mileage chassis is that there's more stuff that will be worn out than a lower mileage car. Just keep an eye out for problems and fix them before they go from small problems to big problems.

FWIW, my car had 96,000 miles on it when I got it, and I had all the same problems you listed (and about 50 more). Now, it has almost no problems and is as reliable as our new car.

Mileage doesn't matter as much as how it was taken care of and driven.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If you turn your own wrenches and have another beater for a DD then it's worth keeping. If you're paying someone else to fix your car, and it is your DD then no. I take it you don't work on your own car according to how much you've spent on doing repairs, and what all you did to it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My car has almost 260k and still going strong. Needs some more maintainence that I'm lagging on Doug but other than that structurally its fine.