Is it too late????

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
After a long and F'**d up rebuild for a bhg I got the car running. Its been about 750 miles on the fresh motor now...then IT HAPPENS!!! I just happen to look under the oil cap and see residue...whiteish. Crap here we go again. Well getting to the point I was planning to do a retorque at the 1 K mark, is it too late now to retorque and save myself with another BHG. I have a 2mm Greddy MHG with ARP bolts initially torqued to 75lbs, machined head/block. I drained the oil and it looked fine, no overheating or coolant loss (radiator/overflow still full). Also can it just be condensation buildup undervalvecovers that caused the milky residue on cap???? Thk fellaz.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
SrBigbutt;1518699 said:
I've heard of people seeing milky residue after a rebuild and it turned out to be assembly lube. Hope for the best!

compression test and cooling system pressure test.There probably is a problem, but you should be sure of it before you tear it apart again.

If everything checks out, change oil. flush the cooling system thoroughly and check again. Unless there was some kind of contamination when assembled (not likely) you shouldn't see anything unusual in the oil...

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Tire Shredder;1518706 said:
compression test and cooling system pressure test.There probably is a problem, but you should be sure of it before you tear it apart again.

If everything checks out, change oil. flush the cooling system thoroughly and check again. Unless there was some kind of contamination when assembled (not likely) you shouldn't see anything unusual in the oil...

If compression checks out okay...is it still possible to just retorque?

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
there's now downside to re torquing at anytime, that I know of. but the chances of it fixing an existing problem, unless the bolts are completely loose are very, very low.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
i seen plenty of cars doing the milky stuff under the oil cap and its just the condensation from the pvc system, maybe thats what you have, and just check compression and coolant pressure

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
IJ.;1519200 said:
Have you been boosting the engine?

IJ i did a normal break in of the motor I guess a hard (fast break in) of the motor but only set my EBC to about 8 lbs of boost. Other than that its been a weekend warrior only. Normal driving on weekends about 50 miles just cruising speed.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Heavy D;1519264 said:
i seen plenty of cars doing the milky stuff under the oil cap and its just the condensation from the pvc system, maybe thats what you have, and just check compression and coolant pressure

Thats what im hoping...**fingers crossed** like I said this is a weekend warrior and at times it sits for about 1-2 weeks before I drive it.

Kevin...there's no other signs or symptoms of BHG. I spent alot of time with prep/installation of HG making sure it was done correctly. Imma do a compression check this weekend sometime. Actually about 2 months ago I did a compression check just for shits and giggles and they were fairly even all accross the board. All cylinders were 162-165 accross the board. I hope within 2 months and just about 100 miles couldnt of caused this.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^still do another comp. test. Using the results from a test that was perfromed before an issue showed up is not going to help.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
It's normal to get that milky residue under the oil cap if you unless the car's been nice and hot for a good half hour, ESPECIALLY if it sits for a couple weeks between driving. Condensation will build up in the crankcase, it's normal, and it's not a bit problem as long as you burn it off completely when you run the engine. This is why lots of short trips are hard on an engine's life span. Condensation waters down the oil, your bearings start to disappear.

Do the compression test. It will tell you if a cylinder is leaking compression at all. This could be due to either the gasket or the rings, but if you're not noticing blue smoke out the back or your not blowing oil seals due to blow by, it's not likely a ring problem. To be sure if you find a low compression on a cylinder, try a wet test by adding a small amount (no more than a teaspoon is necessary IIRC) of oil to the cylinder, see if the compression improves.

Keep a close eye on your coolant. If there's no coolant loss, then the head gasket is fine. If the head gasket is leaking, coolant would be disappearing somewhere, whether it be out the tail pipe or in to the oil.

If you do notice coolant loss, check for a rough cold start and/or EXCESSIVE white smoke out the tail pipe. Some white vapour coming out the tail is normal until the system heats up because of condensation/moisture sitting in the exhaust. If you want to check what the vapour is, take a white ice cream bucket lid, hold it in such a way that you don't melt it, but catch the vapour on it from your exhaust. See if it's pink (or green depending on your coolant), if so, you've got coolant coming through. You have to collect a fair amount to get any sort of color out of the liquid though, so if it's a small leak, this won't likely work. Also, residual coolant sucked in to the cylinders and sitting there on a cold start will cause a pretty noticeable miss.

If it's leaking in to your oil, you can look for the classic milk shake dip stick. You can also crack your oil drain plug after the car has been sitting and not run for a few hours. See what comes out first. Coolant will settle to the bottom of the oil pan because it is mor dense than oil. If you get clear(ish) liquid out first rather than oil, you've got your answer.

Hope that helps.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supersupramk3;1519292 said:
IJ i did a normal break in of the motor I guess a hard (fast break in) of the motor but only set my EBC to about 8 lbs of boost. Other than that its been a weekend warrior only. Normal driving on weekends about 50 miles just cruising speed.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Thats what im hoping...**fingers crossed** like I said this is a weekend warrior and at times it sits for about 1-2 weeks before I drive it.

Kevin...there's no other signs or symptoms of BHG. I spent alot of time with prep/installation of HG making sure it was done correctly. Imma do a compression check this weekend sometime. Actually about 2 months ago I did a compression check just for shits and giggles and they were fairly even all accross the board. All cylinders were 162-165 accross the board. I hope within 2 months and just about 100 miles couldnt of caused this.
I won't let my engines come on boost at all until the retorque is done, all you need is 4>5 heat cycles this can be done without even driving the car as you get it together after the first startup.
Operating temp>cold = 1 cycle.

I've found typically the 7m loses tension on the middle 6 studs.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Ok fellaz i just finished doing a VERY SCARY compression test results came out 152,152,154,155,152,155 thur cylinders 1-6. These numbers are great....WHEW!!!! now im assured my compressions OK. Im thinking Radiod is correct about this issue. Let me here any other inputs guyz. Does this compression test totally rule out BHG????:biglaugh:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
condensation. retorque your head as it should have been done before 1k miles. honestly i think your paranoid. if there is no coolant lose, oil lose, lose of power, good compression its most likely your good to go. check the torque on the head and if all is good your good to go.