Is it really too much to ask for shops to do things properly???

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
To save from a long story, bought a set of set of really rare Blitz wheels, knowing at the time of purchase two had minor cracks. Take them to be repaired/refurb'd, wait a MONTH for them to be finished, all along the only updates I would get would be "They are working on them, call me back around 4." When I finally get a hold of someone that can give me an update he tells me to come pick them up Friday (Last Friday, day after Thanksgiving.) they'll be done. So I'm like sweet, finally get them back, so the long wait, while annoying is pushed aside cause I understand things happen.

Fast forward to today, I walk out of the shop I work at to goto lunch and happen to see my manager outside looking at my car. I walk over and see the car leaning badly to one side. Both right side tires are flat. I instantly look for slashes as we had been having issues with that in the recent past mainly directed at management and done by a single disgruntled former employee. No cuts, valve stem needles (Unsure of proper name.) are still there. Leave work early to go home and try to figure something out while I still have daylight left. Take both right side tires off and go over them with water . . . Sure enough on both the wheels that had cracks repaired, were leaking air. One from where they had ground down the weld, leaked in several spots, and another from where the weld had not been completely repaired. Mark both spots, put everything back together and head to Tire Kingdom to get the TT rims back on the car with the tires that were on the Blitz wheels so I can get the work tomorrow.

It gets better, get to TK, dude pulls my car around, and into the bay, and as usual I go stand outside the bay watching everything the guy is doing. Right away, first Blitz wheel off the car, guy puts it face down on the tire removal machine. I noticed it outside, but didn't immediately think anything of it. Mainly because I just couldn't believe anyone could be that stupid to not think it might damage the wheel doing it that way. I just kept thinking there is just no way, maybe the machine is different. Nope, the wheel is scratched, mainly on the outer lip area, super close to where the wheel lip meets the tire. Not major, but still fucking pisses me off, just got them back from being refinished, and not even a week later, hell 3-4 days some fucking jack off already fucked one of em' up. I'm going in tomorrow to see the Manager but doubt anything useful will come of it, other than my money back for the service they did tonight.

I'm honestly just sick thinking about the entire ordeal, and the fact that now not one but two shops have dropped the ball. Now I have to drive an hour back to the shop that originally did the repairs, get them to fix what they forgot to check for before giving me back the wheels, and find somewhere else to mount them on the car again when ready. It just boggles my mind, every time I take the car to a shop, or have a shop do work for me. I leave, or find something later that just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Guess it ended up being kind of a long story anyway, oh well. I feel a bit better having ranted it, and gotten it off my chest. You guys out there that have shops and, do good work for people even when they bitch about how much it cost. Keep doing what you do. You are in the minority.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
this is the exact reason i really dont like anyone working on my car but me... but without spending gobs of money we cant do everything at home unless we have access to a shop. setbacks and pains in the asses. sorry that happened to you. go kick some ass and put a bullet or two across some ass cheeks:biglaugh:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The only thing I don't do in my own garage is alignments and tire work.

I feel your pain man - I've got a few specific guys at the local Sears (of all places!) that always do 100% top notch work for me.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
the only places i would really take my car to is a place where the ppl doing the work drive the same or similar kind of cars i do. you would figure they would have the same sence of pride in your car as they do in theirs. thats pretty much the only way i would make an exception

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
The blitz wheels are probably reverse mount and have the be taken off upside down. But that is still no excuse for him scratching the wheels. Usually there is some sort of plastic or urethane cover that goes on the arms that hold he wheel down. He should have at least put rags down or something. Freaking half ass workers that just do the work because it is work. Next time try and find a wheel shop that tend to more aftermarket wheels because they tend to have machines that are made not to scratch the rims.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if you want it done right do it yourself. unfortunately a tire machine is expensive. sorry about the bad luck.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
That sucks... Its been a recent theme lately, I've noticed... I have been having problems with my apartment complex... especially with one 575 shebeast thats harassing me

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
BorHor;1193154 said:
The blitz wheels are probably reverse mount and have the be taken off upside down. But that is still no excuse for him scratching the wheels. Usually there is some sort of plastic or urethane cover that goes on the arms that hold he wheel down. He should have at least put rags down or something. Freaking half ass workers that just do the work because it is work. Next time try and find a wheel shop that tend to more aftermarket wheels because they tend to have machines that are made not to scratch the rims.

I'll get some pics up tonight, and Boris, that was another thing that went through my head when he put it face down. Maybe they have to be removed that way. But, when another guy came over to help him get the tire off, cause he was having trouble, and told him to flip the wheel over, I knew something was up. That's what made me want to check for the scratches. Like you said at the very least he could have used a bit of logic and put some rags down.

Thanks for the replies guys, and gal it helps. TK just opened so I'm going to head over and try to talk to the manager before I have to be at work.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
this is why I invested in a compressed/electric tire machine and electronic balancer :love: no half assed mechanic is ever touching my car, except alignments.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
When manager blows you off, call corporate. :evil2: Oh an also try to rationalize why it would be as the manager put it "Common practice to mount the wheels face down, to NOT scratch them." Really???? :aigo:

boosted1jz

in reconstruction
May 9, 2005
alpharetta ga
www.cardomain.com
sad to hear they did that, but some wheels DO require you to mount them face down on the machine to remove the tire... sux that they scratched it and id be PO'd too... but it might be the only way to get the tire on and off the wheel... id also be PO'd at the repair shop for not properly repairing the wheel, although it is hard to test when they dont have the equipment to install a tire to pressure test it

hope you are able to get some $$ outta TK and get them to repair the wheels properly

JASONA70;1193402 said:
this is why I invested in a compressed/electric tire machine and electronic balancer :love: no half assed mechanic is ever touching my car, except alignments.

i found a repo place near me that has both a hunter 9600 balancer and hunter tire machine for very cheap!! if i only had the few extra bucks id spring for both and never have to worry bout them again!!! LOL but luckily i have friends at dealerships and a few tire shops to where i can do my own work on my car sometimes including alignments :D now if i could only get my car to run right...

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
boosted1jz;1193933 said:
sad to hear they did that, but some wheels DO require you to mount them face down on the machine to remove the tire... sux that they scratched it and id be PO'd too... but it might be the only way to get the tire on and off the wheel... id also be PO'd at the repair shop for not properly repairing the wheel, although it is hard to test when they dont have the equipment to install a tire to pressure test it

hope you are able to get some $$ outta TK and get them to repair the wheels properly

i found a repo place near me that has both a hunter 9600 balancer and hunter tire machine for very cheap!! if i only had the few extra bucks id spring for both and never have to worry bout them again!!! LOL but luckily i have friends at dealerships and a few tire shops to where i can do my own work on my car sometimes including alignments :D now if i could only get my car to run right...

Yeah BorHor mentioned that, but when they came and flipped the wheel over, it was a dead giveaway they had no clue what they were doing. Also there were precautions that could have been taken to prevent it from getting scratched, even if they actually did need to be mounted face down.

Also as far the wheel repair shop testing the wheels....I found the leaks with a garden hose. That's the most primitive way of finding a leak known to man.

boosted1jz

in reconstruction
May 9, 2005
alpharetta ga
www.cardomain.com
but you had a tire mounted and pressured up to see it... the wheel repair shop doesnt install a tire to check for leaks.. sux but true

and agreed that they should have been more careful with flipping the wheel... being that its a bigger custom wheel it probably did need to be flipped

and ya when i worked at kauffman tire, we use to get these kids right outta HS that thought they knew everything about cars, and would fuck them up horribly....

good luck on the repairs!!! i hope everything gets worked out in the end! oh and if you wanna get rid of your TT wheels.... OOOOOOOH!!! pick me!! lol

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
boosted1jz;1193982 said:
but you had a tire mounted and pressured up to see it... the wheel repair shop doesnt install a tire to check for leaks.. sux but true

True, but they did have the capacity to do it. Had the original tires that were on the wheels when I bought them there at the shop, as well as the machines to do it with.

I totally get what you're getting at but, with the money I paid them....Well let's say this, if someone were paying me the money I paid them, I would have put the effort in to check the wheels for leaks. I betcha they will check them when I take the wheels back. :icon_razz

What sucks is I was planning on coming home and cleaning the TT rims up to take pictures and post FS yesterday. That got sidetracked just a little though. I'll defintely let you know when I am ready to sell.

boosted1jz

in reconstruction
May 9, 2005
alpharetta ga
www.cardomain.com
trust me i know that getting wheels repaired isnt cheap, downside is that when they send the wheels off they dont have tires on them so that shop cant test, now TK should have water tested to make sure that they were fixed!

when i worked at kauffman 1 of our reputable wheel repair shops lost 2 outta 4 discontinued wheels(cant think of the brand) the guy was pissed! and they had to end up buying the guy a new set of wheels