Is it possible to pull piston/rod out with motor in car?

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
I have a bad wrist pin bushing in the #6 cyl and was curious how hard or if even possible to get the rod/piston out without pulling whole motor.

I do understand new headgasket and many others would be needed, but when its all said and done I could see it saving me alot of time being able to do it this way.

--steve

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It would be significantly more difficult to do this way.

First, you need to pull everything off the top of the block - manifolds, wiring harness, head... because the pistons can only come out the top of the block.

Then, you would need access to the bottom of the block, so you'd need to support the block, drop the crossmember, pull the oilpan, then you can access the #6 rod.

By now you have a block hanging in the engine bay, only connected by the transmission.

Furthermore, pulling the crossmember / oilpan takes about the same time as pulling the engine in the first place. Then pulling everything off the top IN the car takes twice as long as doing it on a stand, so you're investing a lot more time to get the same effect.

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
GrimJack;1721083 said:
It would be significantly more difficult to do this way.

First, you need to pull everything off the top of the block - manifolds, wiring harness, head... because the pistons can only come out the top of the block.

Then, you would need access to the bottom of the block, so you'd need to support the block, drop the crossmember, pull the oilpan, then you can access the #6 rod.

By now you have a block hanging in the engine bay, only connected by the transmission.

Furthermore, pulling the crossmember / oilpan takes about the same time as pulling the engine in the first place. Then pulling everything off the top IN the car takes twice as long as doing it on a stand, so you're investing a lot more time to get the same effect.

what he said ^

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Yeah I was iffy on it, I was hoping the crossmember didnt need to come out, thats the dealbreaker right there for me.

Okay 1 more question then, I suppose you can get the transmission bolts off with it all in the car, would a 3ft extension work and a swivel?

(im still new to Supras and it really seems difficult to work on compared to my MR2, BUT im learning)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You can, but believe it or not, its easier to pull the engine out with the tranny. The only extra steps required are taking out the 2 bolts that hold the clutch slave cylinder, unbolt the transmission mount, and remove the shifter. The driveshaft will slide out when you pull the engine/tranny.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
i have to agree on this, i pulled my motor out last week, and i pulled every thing out, its very easy to do, just remember to pull the speedo cable out as well from the tranny

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Heavy D;1721186 said:
just remember to pull the speedo cable out as well from the tranny

Very good point...I nearly ripped mine in half before I realized it was still attached... I guess I still haven't learned my lesson cause i forgot all about that LOL

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Okay, thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it guys. I will NOT try and get the internals out with it in the car.
Now on to taking the engine/trans out together:

I took the original engine/trans combo out and put the new one in like this but it was a PITA.

1 thing though, i didnt have an engine tilter, do these make it any easier?

Also I saw threads with folks jacking the rear up and deflating the front tires..

Just in my opinion it was a major pita to pull it as a combo as there is really no room btween firewall and radiator support.

Any more help/suggestions are appreciated.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
steveaw11;1724484 said:
1 thing though, i didnt have an engine tilter, do these make it any easier?
Absolutely. Getting it out is easy but back in without a leveler would be a pita (never done it)
steveaw11;1724484 said:
Also I saw threads with folks jacking the rear up and deflating the front tires..
You are doing this with the car on the ground? How do you even fit the hoist legs under the car? I prefer putting the whole car up on 4 stands and lift the rear higher than the front.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
CyFi6;1724511 said:
Absolutely. Getting it out is easy but back in without a leveler would be a pita (never done it)

You are doing this with the car on the ground? How do you even fit the hoist legs under the car? I prefer putting the whole car up on 4 stands and lift the rear higher than the front.

My engine hoist isnt a normal one, its a massive frame about 2 feet wider on both sides of the car with a 3 ton rated chain pulley in the middle. Has wheels at the bottom of each of the legs.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
fyi dont go trying to disconnect the entire wiring harness from the engine in car too much work, just unplug the harness from the computer and lay it on top of the motor, then disconnect the wires going from engine to battery and starter and such. Much faster and easier to do it that way. And pull the crank pulley off before trying to remove it that will give a lot more room to clear the rad support.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
metaphysico;1724537 said:
fyi dont go trying to disconnect the entire wiring harness from the engine in car too much work, just unplug the harness from the computer and lay it on top of the motor, then disconnect the wires going from engine to battery and starter and such. Much faster and easier to do it that way. And pull the crank pulley off before trying to remove it that will give a lot more room to clear the rad support.

Now I never thought of that!
Good suggestion, thanks!