Is it possible to open up the case to the AFM electronics?

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
I believe i have a cold solder joint in my AFM electronics. Car runs rough, but when i tap on the AFM, it goes back to normal.

Anybody know if its possible to open this thing up and check inside for a cold solder joint??

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Hey by "tap on it" do you mean disconnect the afm . I got a problem with mine it idles rough and can't stay on and it dies. Funny thing when i disconnect the afm it idles just fine. Think maybe the connector to the afm is bad???

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Check your codes, both of you. Use the link in my sig.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
code 24 and 31. Intake air temp, and air flow meter. all in one case obviously. connections are perfect checked them. When i tap the black box (where the electronics for the AFM are), the idle goes back up and it runs fine, then goes bad again.

Not gona waste anymore time, just ordered a new one.
Opened it all up and its pretty much unserviceable.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
AIT is a simple thermistor. Nothing complicated about it.

If both AFM and AIT fail.

focus on the plug ESPECIALLY if you have no fan shroud but do so even if you don't. Time kills all.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
noo its definately the AFM unit itself. I checked the connections and voltage coming off the plug and wiggled it around, all is perfect. However, when it is plugged into the AFM, and i run the car, it runs like crap. But when i tap the afm with my hand, the idle jumps back up to normal for a few seconds then goes back down again.

I ordered a new one for 35 bux shipped so I think it will solve the problem.