is it just me or do the stock pre 89 brakes SUCK ass

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I had to replace my brakes yesterday. Thought I could just get the rotors turned but they ended up being out of spec. The new rotors and pads are working well so far after using ARZ's bed in procedure.

It was pretty cool.The inside of the rotor turned blue from the heat from bedding in. Never seen that before as i guess i've never bedded the brakes in the right way.. Now they're covered in rust thanks to the rain...

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
I've had brand new NAPA rotors and drums warped worst than the old ones.I got lucky with the rotors i got for my supra but I've definitely have had bad experiences with costumer cars.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
ilikebigbutts;1191692 said:
I've had brand new NAPA rotors and drums warped worst than the old ones.I got lucky with the rotors i got for my supra but I've definitely have had bad experiences with costumer cars.

^^+1 (see post#2)

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
toy fanatic78;1191717 said:
^^+1 (see post#2)

I second that.....NAPA rotors to me seem to be warped worse new, IMO. I always spin check rotors at work on my brake lathe machine to check runout/warpage. My 87T have Red stuff pads with power slots......they worked great for a friend a few years back with brake fade and longevity. We'll see how they do for the "spirited driver" ....namely me. :biglaugh:

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
I put rotors from Napa on the back of my car. They seemed OK but it could just be that i didnt notice since they're on the back.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
cool chuck;1191893 said:
I put rotors from Napa on the back of my car. They seemed OK but it could just be that i didnt notice since they're on the back.

It's not all chain store rotors,it's just that it is a common occurrence.

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
ilikebigbutts;1191692 said:

Most of the rotors that Napa sells now days are made in China.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Most rotors are made in china unless you buy a "premium" rotor. I have Chinese rotors on my Impala, and that car is wearing just fine. Just find a good rotor really. I sell Raybestos rotors at my work, very rarely do I ever get any back I got one back once because a stud had damaged threads. never for manufacturers mistakes.

Rotors are cheap anywho really. Get some new pads also, why spend money and only do half of a job

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Supra7MG;1192155 said:
Most of the rotors that Napa sells now days are made in China.

This all depends on which line of rotors you buy. I just bought my Brembo rotors and PBR pads from NAPA. My first set of rotors also came from NAPA and I didnt have a problem with them until I created it.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
everybody thanks for the advice

im going to geta new set of rotors and get the pads seperate.

what do you recomend for pads long wear combined with spirited driving