is global warming real?

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
I'm just curious what everyone thinks, I know it'll be a very biased oppinion on this forum (you buncha terrorist supporting gas guzzling dayumn racers) but I was watching the history channel and it was an old episode (1970's hosted by lenord nemoi) of history's mysterys where the scientist were concerned that we were going into another ice age. 30 years later we're worried about the ice caps melting. is it just hype? a fad? or have we advanced so much in 30 years and leonard is just an asshole? talk amongst yourselves

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
The fact of the matter is that we don't know.

We have approximatley 150 years of recorded weather history. When you compare that to how long the earth has been here, you can base 150 years of history to predict the future.

Sure we've had ice ages before and warming trends before, and its going to happen again whether we like it or not. We can't do anything about it either.

Further, I view the ice ages and such things as sort of a cleansing of the earth because if whatever is around that is over abundant (man), the earth will take back what is hers and we will not be able to inhabit that part anymore. Thus, we cannot cause any harm to that part of the earth and maybe we will all die off leadning the way for another species to rule the earth once again.

We are just here for the ride, enjoy it.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
umm if my gas thread doesnt deserve stay in GD then this shouldnt either. OT mods plz
and as for global warming i think we will nuke each other before global warming takes kills us.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I don't remember where I read this, but I heard that the Ice Age really only ends when the ice caps have melted. Basically that the normal global temperature is one where there is no ice all year round. Don't know if it's true, just thought I'd put it out there.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Global weather *change* is indeed real. Nobody is disputing that. We can actually see millions of years into the past of our weather, by sampling snow and ground cores. However where people get all hot and bothered is the question "are we causing it" or is something else at play here. Lots of politics enter the equation, but the science is shaky in determining why exactly things are changing, so it can be spun either which way.

For all we know, there is a super volcano that erupted under the ocean somewhere. The fact that most of the planets in our solar system are also heating up may give us a clue at what's going on and may point the finger at our sun.

At any rate, pumping out huge amounts of poisonous gasses into our relatively small breathing space is probably not the best idea we've come up with, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the people who love to scream about the doomsday scenario. They love to predict the sky is falling, and when it doesn't, they just move on to something else (y2k anyone?).

L

lanky189

Shawndude said:
Global weather *change* is indeed real. Nobody is disputing that. We can actually see millions of years into the past of our weather, by sampling snow and ground cores. However where people get all hot and bothered is the question "are we causing it" or is something else at play here. Lots of politics enter the equation, but the science is shaky in determining why exactly things are changing, so it can be spun either which way.

For all we know, there is a super volcano that erupted under the ocean somewhere. The fact that most of the planets in our solar system are also heating up may give us a clue at what's going on and may point the finger at our sun.

At any rate, pumping out huge amounts of poisonous gasses into our relatively small breathing space is probably not the best idea we've come up with, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the people who love to scream about the doomsday scenario. They love to predict the sky is falling, and when it doesn't, they just move on to something else (y2k anyone?).

:bowdown: shawn speaks.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I saw a video of a science seminar a while back and he was talking about how people are all worried about cars and industry polutting the earth, but when volcanos erupt they dump more carbon dioxide and poisonous gases into the atmosphere than cars do in 150 years. (this was back in the early 90's so I'm sure the stats regarding car pollution %'s have increased.) Just something else to think about.

L

lanky189

i queefed today..and my it got warmer in my room....does that count?

Last edited by a moderator:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, Global warming is real...in the summer time

and lanky, queefing is what the female gender do....... :ugh2:

I believe in global warming. I believe there will be another ice age, i believe that we are not going to live to see the ice age come again...it just doesnt happen in 150 year spurts, 2000 years ago was when Christ was here....TWO THOUSAND YEARS AGO. If we havent had an ice age in 2000 years.....i dont think our 70 ( plus or minus) year life span's will get to see the weather change...

....and 150 years is NOT enough to judge GLOBAL weather patterns.....maybe local weather patterns...but no global.

Remember, thats why we look at rocks and tree samples deep in the surface crust to see what the weather was like back then.

-Jonathan

Last edited:
L

lanky189

Siman.. did you notice that CK had edited my post? I origanlly posted that i farted.

also the Summer in our hemisphere is only our hemisphere...there is always a summer season it's just on a different part of our globe..

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
lanky189 said:
Siman.. did you notice that CK had edited my post? I origanlly posted that i farted.

also the Summer in our hemisphere is only our hemisphere...there is always a summer season it's just on a different part of our globe..

My comment about global warming in the sommer was a joke. I know when its sommer here its winter in Australia.....and vise versa...lol

-Jonathan

PS: I dont care that CK edited your post...thats your fault for not re-editing it....:poon:

L

lanky189

no really...its notmy fault..see me and ck have a little mod war going on here...He is beating me REALLY bad!..and if i were to change it..that would be cheating..

Last edited by a moderator:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
so you are going to screw each other up on here till one of you drops from being mod? hmmmm.....I hope you go first :momaru:

just playing with you....i dont care much about that crap anymore....I just go out and finally drive my car after 10 long months of building! I dont have time for arguments anymore hahahahah

-Jonathan

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
This is like asking if the book of revelations is going to come true.

There are so many different variables on what will happen to this planet it's scary.

IMO, this planet is dying. We've already destroyed it. I don't even know why people bring kids into this world anymore. I can go on and on, but all I'am going to say is don't worry about any natural disasters, guys. Disease is going to kill most of us before anything else.

L

lanky189

CtSupra said:
I don't even know why people bring kids into this world anymore.

Well I hope you don't plan on bringing any then.

Also..the world can only support as much life as it can. I mean to say that overpopulation is impossible. Human's thrive on organic goods, without carbon based substances we cannot survive so if/when the earth starts to run short of supply for us...we will not be able to expand anymore.

There are population controls at work everyday but they are labeled National Tragedy, or something else sympathetic. the Tsunami, the mudslides and earthquakes in India and other third world countries... this is mother earth taking massive chunks out of her population... Remember the Plague? 2/3rds of the world wiped clean then somehow the disease just dissappeared?

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
lanky189 said:
Well I hope you don't plan on bringing any then.

Also..the world can only support as much life as it can. I mean to say that overpopulation is impossible. Human's thrive on organic goods, without carbon based substances we cannot survive so if/when the earth starts to run short of supply for us...we will not be able to expand anymore.

There are population controls at work everyday but they are labeled National Tragedy, or something else sympathetic. the Tsunami, the mudslides and earthquakes in India and other third world countries... this is mother earth taking massive chunks out of her population... Remember the Plague? 2/3rds of the world wiped clean then somehow the disease just dissappeared?

I don't need to hear your happy-ass comments that make you feel better about yourself.

The world will never run out of carbon. Are you serious?
As long as there are humans there will NEVER be a carbon shortage. Think really hard about this one now. Also, think how nature works.

Also, big chunks? Ok, There's what? 5,000,000,000+ on this planet? Increased by the millions every decade or so? If millions died every "big" natural disaster it wouldn't be a big chunk. By the time we are our parents age the U.S. is going to be just as bad, if not worse then China.