Is BOSS a good stereo brand? I cant decide if i should buy this head unit.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i bought this for one dollar...:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

but it needs an external amp. I have an offer for one that is 25 bux..and with that i'd be almost done if the seller has the correct wiring i need. but i just found a BOSS stereo, with wires (should solder right up to my bare wires) for only 60 bux. and i would not need an amp. i dont know if its a good deal because i dont know if the brand is any good, i only found ONE review online. does anybody know if Boss is a decent brand? i have some pros and cons below, give me your opinions.

and heres the one being sold:
87mEbBFBASn0FltzJPMQSpSl00Rm.jpg

wkXK1rYNAYA2Dk9pGoGVEhLcPTES.jpg

here are more pics from random sites to show you what it looks like;
cf23_1.JPG
104596514.jpg
12027338.gif

some of its perks:

* 5 Volt preamp output
* MP3/CD-R/CD-RW compatible
* AUX/Mobile video input
* Subwoofer output (BASSMAX)
* Anti-skip mechanism
* Preset EQ response curves
* Separate bass and treble
* Balance and fader controls
* Dual RCA outputs
* Loudness
* Stereo/mono & local/distance switches
* Output power: 50Wx4CH
* Wireless remote control

should i get rid of the stock toyota 3-in-one unit and go for this one? i havent invested anything substancial (again...one dollar).

toytoa OEM
pros:
25 dollars for the amp, maybe 40 total spent once i get mounts and a few wires..not a bad price
cons: no mp3 capability.
i must get an amp

BOSS
pros: RCA outputs
AUX inputs
internal amp
cons: 60 bux for the unit, then 20 dollars for the mounting kit = 80 bux give or take. kinda pricey, but i'm not sure because i dont know a thing about Boss.

Last edited:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
speed dodici said:
NO.

Boss is crap.

and trust me, externally amp'd speakers sound a lot better than headunit amp'd.

i would be running a stock amp though...probably... still better? :icon_conf

or are you referring to using an aftermarket external amp with a stock headunit that needs an external amp like mine?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
If 80 bucks is a pricey HU for you then i would say go for the externally amped HU. Just try to hide your wires to the amp as best as possible. I think the boss will cheeze your interior up.
Boss is just not a reputable brandname.
For refrence i spent $200 on my HU and i still consider it to be a mid-lower class unit.

Chris86.5

Oct 5, 2006
Leduc AB
with HU nowaday 200 dollars is a cheap headunit. and you really get what you pay for to. if you arent going big on car audio then go for a cheap one, like a lower end clarion they arent that expensiive, and clarion is usually a user friendly device

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
hmm...allright i'll probably just get a stock amp and call it a day then... i just have to make sure it has the harness for between the HU and the amp, and then one for the output. it really sucks that i dont have ANY connector in my car's dash stereo harness....