Is an intercooler upgrade worth it?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
i vote you get the driftmotion ct26 kit, and run a 57 trim. that would go under the title of "cheap power" as its cheaper than most single kits ive seen.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
I've heard that once you go single, you wont ever want the twins again. I was checking those single kits at 935, but not sure yet.

The kit at driftmotion doesn't include the turbo. How much would that ct26 with .57 trim cost? Are they easy to come by?

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
I just wanna be sure of what is needed with those kits. Because one could assume it's just the kit.. but then I find out it comes without the turbo. There ya go, another several hundred bucks. Then I find out that I also need this, and that, and another thing, and $2k in misc. parts... that'd be a bummer. :)

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Thats not a bummer, thats just the fact of life. You can piece your own kit together for around 4k, or buy one from Greddy thats "complete" for $5500.

That does not include fuel or ECU with the Greddy kit. The 4k i quoted includes intercooler and pipes.

Or you can get a Holset and ebay manifold for $800 :)

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
If I were looking to reach 400-500WHP I'd have no complaints about that kind of money. But hot damn, I was thinking of maybe reaching 300-330WHP.... $4k is a lot for that if you ask me, and I think I'd stay with my current stock setup if that's the only choice, heh. I just wish my salary was earned in us dollars like you guys, but it aint, sucks to be me. =P

You guys are awesome as always. I've been off of this forums for a few months now, but I still wear those supramania.com t-shirts I bought about a year or so ago, heh. Thanks for the answer fellas. I might do the intercooler/downpipe/y-pipe just for kicks though... just to feel like I'm taking good care of the car at least :)

Van Diesel

Powered by vino
Dec 12, 2006
El Paso, Texas
Ric said:
Other then that, the next step would be Cams, and SAFC2 to correct the fuel mixture from the cam install.

Hey Ric just curious as to the a/f ratio when you installed your cams. Were you rich or lean?

Van Diesel

Powered by vino
Dec 12, 2006
El Paso, Texas
lifesnotfair said:
If I were looking to reach 400-500WHP I'd have no complaints about that kind of money. But hot damn, I was thinking of maybe reaching 300-330WHP.... $4k is a lot for that if you ask me, and I think I'd stay with my current stock setup if that's the only choice, heh. I just wish my salary was earned in us dollars like you guys, but it aint, sucks to be me. =P

You guys are awesome as always. I've been off of this forums for a few months now, but I still wear those supramania.com t-shirts I bought about a year or so ago, heh. Thanks for the answer fellas. I might do the intercooler/downpipe/y-pipe just for kicks though... just to feel like I'm taking good care of the car at least :)

If you want to go single AND make 400 HP reliable check out 935motorsports. They have turbo kits for the 1JZ for around $2000 USD.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
To answer your original question, an intercooler is not simply a safety precaution, it would add more power however modest the gains. Only one person mentioned air intake temps, which by reducing them allow more oxygen molecules into the motor making it more efficient and produce more power.

However if you are looking for the best bang for the buck the full exhaust will do more.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
lifesnotfair said:
I've heard that once you go single, you wont ever want the twins again. I was checking those single kits at 935, but not sure yet.

The kit at driftmotion doesn't include the turbo. How much would that ct26 with .57 trim cost? Are they easy to come by?

You can get a rebuilt CT upgraded to the 57 trim for a little under $700.00 at MDC in the vendor's section. To the post speaking of a 62-1 in a CT, that will shit out on you in no time, they are not reliable and are a waste of money when compared to how long they will last. I personally would not go bigger than a 57 trim CT for longetivity and performance. The 57 trim will put you deep into the 400's.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
not going to bother reading all the posts here, but in short if you are on stock twins NO an IC upgarde over the stock 1jz one is useless..

If you are on a single MAYBE. Depends on the size of the single...

I was able to crank out 450 WHP on a stock 7m intercooler (smaller then 1jz)then upgrading to a sparco didn't help much but did help response and top end to hold boost.

There are many upgrades you can spend your money on first before an IC>