is a shell worth it?

megaderk

Oct 19, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
ok so ill start off plain and simple, the mk4 supra is my dream car and at my age and money situation the only way i could get one is by purchasing a shell. i wana know, are shells worth it? and do supras make good project cars?

if you have any advice, tips, thoughts for me let me know. i really want to figure out whether or not to buy the shell or to just buy a cheap 240 sx and wait for a later time for the supra.

deranged

1988 Turbo Supra
Jul 15, 2007
TN
Have you considered or driven a mk3? I was a huge mk4 fan. Always have been, honestly always will be, but one day I saw an advertised 404hp mk3 supra for 2800 in the news paper, and just had to take him up on it. I have yet to regret that decision. What I'm getting to is, if you're young and money-restricted, go with the mk3 for now, you can get power for pretty cheap with em (basically, do the 240sx route and don't get a nissan, get a mk3)

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Supra's make good project cars but I fear if you buy a shell you will get frustrated/bored before the car is ever complete. Buy a Mk3. You will be more likely to actually enjoy the car.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Good luck finding a MK4 shell.. I am sure they are hard to find and probably cost much more then a running 240 or a MK3. IMO a 240 is a better starter car then a Supra only because parts are generally cheaper.. But the MK3 is a good first car too after you cure all of it problems haha.