iPhone or G1???

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
So my contract is up with T-Mobile and I'm debating on whether I should just get the G1 and stay with T-Mobile or switch to AT&T and get an iPhone. I've been looking into it for a few days contemplating, but both phones are great. So far I haven't had any bad experience with T-Mobile. Either way, the phone bill will be about the same. And I thought about getting an iPhone and unlocking it for T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if I would have the full functionality of it. Anyone have any experience with unlocked iPhone's for T-Mobile?

Any input is great, I'm just not sure so I thought I would see what others have to say.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago. I wanted an Iphone because everyone had one .. lol. Anwyays, i did a lot of comparison, plan pricing etc. and after three hours of going back and forth, I ended up with a black G1. I absolutely love it . It still has a lot of potential with Android once more updates become available. It can do most things an I-phone can do. I like the fact it has expandable memory as I did not have to pay too much extra. I picked up a 8GB micro SDHC for only $20 . and its expandable to 16GB. MP4video quality is excellent for my use. I use it alot and the apps are mostly free and plentiful.I use it as a mini computer .

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
I love my G1. It's no iPhone, it creaks because of the swiveling screen, and the battery life isn't all that great, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The Android system is pretty fun and nifty. Great stuff. Plus, personally, I prefer the look of the G1 over the iPhone. Waayy cooler looking.

g12.png

<3

Furthermore, theres a whole bunch of YouTube reviews on the G1. Try checking those out. Especially the reviews from Noah at PhoneDog and Jon4lakes.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
ERA;1263715 said:
and the battery life isn't all that great,

The iPhone battery isn't a marvel of engineering in itself...

I'm not a Mac fan, but the iPhone is awesome... I always have something to do while waiting at the dentist/standing in line/sitting at work waiting for a surgeon... The map feature is awesome. I want to find a motorcycle shop near my house so I can go pick up a pair of boots, type "motorcycle" in the search bar, all the little pins pop up, click on whichever one is closest, gives me all their info (#, addy, website) just click any of them and it calls/goes to their website, or gives me directions to their store. I send pics of my son to my mom/mother in law everyday now. I'm even more awesome at risk now... People can actually get a hold of me now (I actually carry my phone and it's never just left dead on the kitchen counter).

I have never seen/operated a G1, but the iPhone is awesome. I wish it came with 'the missing manual', though.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
My co-worker uses T-Mobile and purchased the G1 and took it back and bought an unlocked Blackberry Storm on ebay.... put his sim card in it and away he went. Another co-worker has the G1 and loves it. The apps you can get from Crackberry.com are endless. The Blackberry excells when it comes to syncing up to Outlook/ Exchange.

He did pay a hefty price for the BB.... $450.00 or something. But he has an online business and has to keep up with about 5 email accounts....

Then on another note, there were 3 other people in my office that bought the BB Storm and took them back and got the regular BB. They did not like the touch screen for typing. They are what I would consider power users that are constantly emailing...

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
im thinking iphone cuz im att. but that g1 looks tits. maybe if I can find it unlocked. either way apps and usage is all how you play with it. iphone I can jailbreak. then do whatever.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
The web browsing on this thing is amazing (G1) and navigation in general throughout the phone is excellent, especially with a handy trackball. The touch screen scrolling slides like butter (unlike my sisters touchscreen, the samsung behold) and you really appreciate the little things this phone posseses.

The way I view the bb series is, they were built for the purpose of those with an agenda, business people and the like. While the G1 is more geared towards fun and busy-body people obsessed with text and email imo.

As said before, it's a great phone, but it isn't as polished as the other phones in it's league. Still love the shit outta mine though lol.

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
Damn it, still not sure. I like the look of the iPhone and the G1, but I was messing with a G1 at the T-Mobile store and it just felt too cheap, quality wise. I feel like I could easily break it on accident. And the only thing I don't like about buying an iPhone and unlocking & jailbreaking it is that it will cost a lot to just buy the phone, even used. Plus, I'm not sure if I would have the full functionality of the iPhone with T-Mobile.