intsalled turbo without putting oil

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
so im in the middle of a rebuild/bhg repair. Yesterday i finally got the turbo in and this morning at 430 in the morning im thinking of what else i can knock out today and realize i didnt put oil on the turbo shaft prior to install:1zhelp:. is their anyway i can put oil without removing turbo. Is it a a big deal if i leave it like that (still had some oil from removal) and wait for oil to lubricate on startup?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Never understood the idea of holding the blades while you crank it to get pressure there isn't enough airflow to rotate it at cranking speeds and even if it did it isn't going to damage the bushes.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
"a while" should be a lot longer than 5 seconds. It took me about 2-3 minutes of cranking before I saw any oil pressure on my system (however, this was with a thermostat controlled oil cooler system)

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
adampecush;1378804 said:
"a while" should be a lot longer than 5 seconds. It took me about 2-3 minutes of cranking before I saw any oil pressure on my system (however, this was with a thermostat controlled oil cooler system)

Ditto - I know because I just fired my rebuild up last night for the first time. :icon_razz

I think he did say that he cranked it for 5 seconds "a couple of times", though. That makes me feel better.

RiyadYar: Let us know how it goes.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
adampecush;1378804 said:

i said i did it for five second more than once (alot more), didnt want to cook the starting system. plus waited for oil to come out the return line so im sure i got it oiled up enough

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
i will let you guys know how it goes all i have left is the intake ,fuel rail and timing and then ill finallly be back on the road after this super long rebuild

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you remove the spark plugs, you can pretty much turn it all you want with a good battery.