Introduction to a group buy for fully built r154 with custom made gearsets

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
PGS has been making gearsets both syncro and dog box for rally teams overseas, now for those of us that are making big power and have even killed so called built Marlin crawler and jacks transmissions with upgraded parts have an answer for keeping the r154 vs custom fitting cd009,th400,or other popular boxes.

The dogset gearboxes are $4900, plus $650 labor. The standard gear box is $3900 plus $650 labor, and will have a group buy option, with $200 off with 5 committed orders, $400 off with 10 committed orders. If we have the same commitment to the dogbox gearset, the same discount levels apply.

as for an official gb on the sets i am not this person but i will be getting a transmisson with these gears once the offical GB is started.

https://www.speedforsale.com/suprap...ransmissions-toyota-r154-gearsets-p-3930.html

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
the biggest issue with the r154 is the shifter engagement. If I end up doing something besides my built r154's I will be going to a cd009. If the were to get the transmission to shift as smooth and a t5 I would be interested, but I don't see that happening.

For that price if I were you I would go to a v160 and be done with it. direct bolt on to the engine, but quite a few other modifications, but IMO its worth it since all the clutch options are there, they shift smoother than butter, and hold whatever you can throw at it with ease.

To me I don't see a reason to build a shitty shifting truck transmission when you could go to a cd009 for much less or v160 for a grand or two more depending on how much work you will do.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
emericaskater285;2046489 said:
the biggest issue with the r154 is the shifter engagement. If I end up doing something besides my built r154's I will be going to a cd009. If the were to get the transmission to shift as smooth and a t5 I would be interested, but I don't see that happening.

For that price if I were you I would go to a v160 and be done with it. direct bolt on to the engine, but quite a few other modifications, but IMO its worth it since all the clutch options are there, they shift smoother than butter, and hold whatever you can throw at it with ease.

To me I don't see a reason to build a shitty shifting truck transmission when you could go to a cd009 for much less or v160 for a grand or two more depending on how much work you will do.

And then, this is just your opinion and you are not speaking for everyone.

There will be some people, probably a majority, that'll prefer just getting their gearbox upgraded, and have it BOLT right up to their engine, just to avoid the fuss on getting adapter, modified bellhousings, etc..

The dilemma with a group buy, is that if there aren't enough people initially, does the product not come to fruition?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
BlackDevilSupra;2046510 said:
And then, this is just your opinion and you are not speaking for everyone.

There will be some people, probably a majority, that'll prefer just getting their gearbox upgraded, and have it BOLT right up to their engine, just to avoid the fuss on getting adapter, modified bellhousings, etc..

The dilemma with a group buy, is that if there aren't enough people initially, does the product not come to fruition?

And I understand and respect that. Its just something to keep in mind. I would love to see how these will turn out, and what they will support, and would also like to see if there is a good decrease in E.T.s at the track with vehicles using these transmissions.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
emericaskater285;2046516 said:
And I understand and respect that. Its just something to keep in mind. I would love to see how these will turn out, and what they will support, and would also like to see if there is a good decrease in E.T.s at the track with vehicles using these transmissions.

Yeah the cd009 would be nice if the shifter wasnt so far back, 1st gear was more useful, and speedo sensor was easier to adapt vs a gps standalone. built r154 is expensive, yeah the r154 doesnt shift very smooth at all.yours actually became really smooth for a 154 after the second oil change. up and down shifting was pleasant.