Intermittent CPS problem.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
Bassically a few days ago, my car did a crank/no start at a local resturant when leaving. I checked the code real quic, saw it was a code 12. So i disconected and re- conected the CPS connecter a few times and it worked. Then later that day it did the same thing, but i couldnt get it to start. So yesterday i hard wired the CPS into the harness. Did it once and it didint start(im 100% sure i wired it correctly) did it again with the wires in the exact same place. It then started. So thinking i fixed the problem, i drove around a lil and came back home. I parked the car for about an hour then when it was time to go to work, she wouldnt start! Same code! But now today it started.

My question is, can a CPS that is on its way out be intermittent?

I tried playing with the wiring harness while it was runing and didnt get so much as a sputter. My only guess is its the CPS.

O and its a 89 Turbo 5-speed.

thanks, andrew

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
I would seriously suggest looking into the wiring. I had similar problem and bought a new cps... then new ecu.. and more.. not wat it was..

take the connector on the harness side from you're CPS and cut back the plastic t hat covers the wires cut it back about 6 inches and i guaruntee you'll find you're problem. #1 suspect right there.

but if you really want I have a CPS in good condition I can sell yah. just PM me. (same i bought when i thought my cps was bad)

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
I will look into that tommorow. So today it ran good all day, turned it off to do the springs and shocks (PITA). And of corse, when i went to fire her up to take a test drive....craaaaaank, no start. Tried playing with the harness while my budy cranked it. Not even a sputter. Also the starter would hesitate to crank sometimes. I noticed the TSRM said something about the starter signal. Could that cause it to not start?

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
First thing i did, checked my wiring job and conections many times, not that. Also i noticed that when i tapped my CPS with something metal, the injectors would fire(or atleast a sound came from the injector area that sounded like them sqwerting fue). So that should say that the wiring is fine, and its the CPS correct?

Last edited:

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
againstdawall06 said:
bumb. i really need to get it running. Does he ECU use the cps to fire the injectors?
yes and dont hard wire anything take the cap off the cps and see if you are leaking oil internally this can mess with the signal next there are two prongs that stick up they are encased in plastic the rotor passes these for the trigger point check these for cracks in the plastic if so replace the cps. But to start it try and spray some brake cleaner spray in it then let it dry and try to start