Interior modifications

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am interested in seeing some of your own modifications to your interior; for example, I don't need an ashtray and I use my phone often to listen to music through my stereo and it would make life easier to have a way to mount my phone with easy access to use and such. I had an idea of routing my auxiliary cables behind the console trim and come out through the ashtray area and also use some sort of phone mount/clamp that fits in the ashtray so I can mount my phone just outside of it and connect the cables from behind without having cables everywhere and such. I'd like some help with this idea and post up pics of your own ideas.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I like that idea but I prefer it to be clean instead of like a flip out head unit with a screen. I am also interested in seeing some mods done by members on here to their own cars.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What kind of phone? Are you planning to stay with something fairly standard, or do you want to do something a bit more fun?

I've been looking at doing something with an Android tablet. I think that a 7" LCD that can do HD video as well as talk bluetooth to the stereo system might have some promise. I was originally going to do a car PC, but the power requirements as well as boot and shut-down times are somewhat daunting. The tablet can take care of its own power needs on battery, and charge via the USB port. I can even limit that to when the car is actually running to help preserve the car's battery. The main "problem" is getting media onto the tablet, but that just means that I need wifi in the driveway.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
My phone is a Galaxy S3 I do have the same idea of using a 7" tablet and put it in the double din so I can use that as navigation, bluetooth, music, etc. and I can customize the interface since most aftermarket stuff looks crappy and is poorly designed. I was wondering if I could figure out a way to sort use clamps like phone clamps with pads with the factory bracket so it fits nicely and looks clean. Problem I see is the wiring bit lol I am not so good with that.

My idea with my phone mount is to sit in the ashtray area and not block anything like the AC buttons and have the cables come out from behind it so you don't see the wires.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you're going to use the stereo (or ashtray) area to mount, then it's actually pretty easy. The S3 is a bit big for the ashtray area without cutting, but it's also thin enough that you could easily rig the mount in front and it won't protrude much. An iPhone 4s could probably be recessed into the dash (which is why I asked)

Wiring for it is actually really simple, depending on what you're connecting it to.

If your stereo has a rear USB, then pull a cable through the bottom of the ashtray mount and you're done. If not, then I'd probably go buy a power socket at your local cheap auto parts place and a USB adapter, then tap that into the accessory power at the stereo. Mount the power socket in the ashtray space, and get a low profile USB charger adapter for it. If it's front USB only that's harder, but if the stereo is connecting via bluetooth, then it's a done deal again.

To mount the phone, I'd look for a cheap eBay case for the S3, and mount that to rails that go in the ashtray mount. Put some sort of backing on that to make it look decent when the phone isn't in the car, and probably make it so that I could change the case when I upgrade to whatever the next phone is. Maybe set it up so that you put small screws through the back of a hardback case into a finish bezel. Change to a different case, drill a couple of holes and screw it on. Chances are that the micro-USB charger/connector is going to stick around for a while, but even if not, if you make the power wiring simple USB 5V, then it's practically guaranteed to be useable for whatever phones come out in the future.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I know the S3 won't fit inside of the ashtray area and I am fine with that I was thinking of mounting it just outside of the ashtray with a very small gap between the phone and the dash. My stereo has front mounted USB and Aux ports that isn't a big deal I don't mind the cables showing on the radio I just don't want wires everywhere lol, so yea I can just route those cables and find some L connectors to hook up to the phone from behind. The only real problem is finding and making a mount that works with the rail in the ashtray. I actually used to have a case similar to that one that I got for free from work and it sucks you can't even connect your charger to the phone it won't let the cable fully connect.