Interesting debate about the 1.5jz

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21732

Apparently alot of these guys feel that you have to weld the 1jz head and then redrill it so one of the oil feed holes line up better. Some say no and some say yes. I'm hoping for the no, because a few guys on here and supraforums have done it without this option.

I've been told to use the stock 1jz head gasket. Would you still use a stock gasket if your block has been decked .010 and you're also going to have your head reworked and maybe resurfaced?
The machinist said he thought a 1.6 mm head gasket would bring the compression close to stock, but I was thinking about a 1.2. I think the stock is 1.0, so any suggestions would be great. I really need to get this ordered quickly. Thanks again.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
never heard of that before either

.010 off the head??? was it warped real bad or something? i had a BHG that i drove on for MONTHS and i only had to shave .06 or is .06 more than .010??? im lost HAHAHA

anyways 1.2 would be fine i'd think.

but i've never heard of welding the head and then re-drilling

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
1.5 is fine, no drilling or anything needed. several are running around with 1.5jz without issues.

stock is a 1.2mm gasket iirc.. stock would be fine. no need to spend extra money on a thicker. higher compression has its benifits ;)

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
I read somewhere in supraforums that the 1jz head gasket was better, It had bigger oil & water passages, Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
oh god. The toymods 1.5JZ thread.

Ok, the oil feed on the 1JZ and 2JZ don't perfectly line up. The 1JZ head gasket has a larger opening for the feed in it. This larger opening sort of fills in the area between the offset holes so that oil gets up there.

It won't be AS MUCH oil as normal, but it works fine.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks, and I didn't mean to hit a sore spot Rob.............:biglaugh:

I will order the stock head gasket then. Thanks

I think he may have been talking about the head and the block being resurfaced, but I don't know. He told me roghtly .010..........:dunno:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's not a sore spot, I just didn't think anyoe else actually knew about that thread.

I was probably one of what, 4 people on toymods who actually had a working 1.5JZ? I figure that's worth something. Most of the comments on there are rumors and hearsay.

93kyumaru

JZ Master
Oct 31, 2007
Japan
Yeah there is a lot of that going on like for instance the 1JZvvti Rods being weaker haha that is a funny one they are the exact same part number they have been using the same style rods since the 1J's induction.

But yeah Rob is right the oil passages do not line up perfectly but the 1J HG solves that, and the factory 1J gasket is 1.0mm not 1.2mm :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
After being told countless times, I went ahead and ordered the stock head gasket. Am I going to have any interference problems at all? I don't know how high the pistons come up and the valves come down or anything like that, but I was hoping it was 1.2 mm.

800rwhpmkiii

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
West Side
1.5jz is a waste of time man. why even bother? you shouldn't have went 1JZ if you want 3 liters. 7M was already 3 liters and it was put in the car from the factory so obviously it was set up properly for the car. stick to what belongs and have the 3 liter from the beginning.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
800rwhpmkiii;897585 said:
1.5jz is a waste of time man. why even bother? you shouldn't have went 1JZ if you want 3 liters. 7M was already 3 liters and it was put in the car from the factory so obviously it was set up properly for the car. stick to what belongs and have the 3 liter from the beginning.

:rofl:

800rwhpmkiii

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
West Side
what? i have never had a problem with my 7M. not once. no head gasket problems or anything. you drive a stock car so you have no room to talk

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
93kyumaru;897353 said:
Yeah there is a lot of that going on like for instance the 1JZvvti Rods being weaker haha that is a funny one they are the exact same part number they have been using the same style rods since the 1J's induction.
How can they be the same part # and be physically different?

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
:blah:
800rwhpmkiii;897617 said:
what? i have never had a problem with my 7M. not once. no head gasket problems or anything. you drive a stock car so you have no room to talk

Yeah ok.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
800rwhpmkiii;897617 said:

You must not turn the car on at all then!