intercooler piping sizes

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Hey peoples,
Ive got a relatively stock 7M-GTE, my mods are in my sig.
I just purchased a large front mount intercooler with 3" piping and ive been told that the piping is too large, making my turbo work harder due to less pressure in the intake manifold.
I just want to know more about this, and if anybody has first hand experience...:1zhelp:

heres a pic of it:
p1429826_1.jpg

Thanks,
Mikael

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
Yea, so you might need more boost to compensate for the larger piping and core. By the way, where did you get the set up?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Neodeuccio;1429857 said:
So you're saying that the 3" piping is fine, it just may delay power by a bit?

depends on what you would define as "fine" and what Mikael_7m define as fine and me define as fine.

for some people the lag is unnoticeable. others, it is an eternity. No two people "perseption" is the same. The tale tell sign is when you datalog the pressure values vs RPM.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
figgie;1429874 said:
depends on what you would define as "fine" and what Mikael_7m define as fine and me define as fine.

for some people the lag is unnoticeable. others, it is an eternity. No two people "perseption" is the same. The tale tell sign is when you datalog the pressure values vs RPM.

If we change the word "fine" to "perfectly functional without causing any mechanical problems", then you'd have my meaning, and I think we already have your answer. Thanks!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Neodeuccio;1429896 said:
If we change the word "fine" to "perfectly functional without causing any mechanical problems", then you'd have my meaning, and I think we already have your answer. Thanks!

well it won't brake anything mechanically. Just what you are willing to tolerate ;)

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
charman02: its a custom setup that ive bought of someone. He said that intercooler and a to4 internalled ct26 got him 400hp @ 18psi....

As for being "fine", not really as I was hoping that there was at least one benefit from getting a larger intercooler. I was thinking maybe cooler intake charge or more flow....but I guess I was wrong. :3d_frown:
But hey at least it will look cool lurking behind my front bar! :biglaugh:

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Mikael_7m;1430185 said:
charman02: its a custom setup that ive bought of someone. He said that intercooler and a to4 internalled ct26 got him 400hp @ 18psi....

As for being "fine", not really as I was hoping that there was at least one benefit from getting a larger intercooler. I was thinking maybe cooler intake charge or more flow....but I guess I was wrong. :3d_frown:
But hey at least it will look cool lurking behind my front bar! :biglaugh:

I want to do a 2.5, I heard anything smaller than that wont get enough airflow, anything larger wont have enough pressure. BUT, I also heard a larger turbo or more boost loves the larger pipes. Someone please correct me if im wrong for learning purposes!

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
sparkplug619;1430282 said:
I want to do a 2.5, I heard anything smaller than that wont get enough airflow, anything larger wont have enough pressure. BUT, I also heard a larger turbo or more boost loves the larger pipes. Someone please correct me if im wrong for learning purposes!

nope seems logical to me. if it werent true they'd have only one size piping for every setup lol