Intercooler and Radiator Upgrade?

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Hey guys so I decided to rebuild my engine after 133, 000 miles. The only thing I'm stuck with is trying to find a radiator and intercooler that would be good and easy to install. I've been looking on the forums but I haven't found much.

I apologize in advance if this was already asked but I haven't seen any questions similar to this.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The driftmotion kit is supposed to drop right in, with all the intercooler piping included, as well as a blowoff valve.
"supposed" to drop right in. I and Grandhavi(as well as others, I'm sure) have had fitment issues with the piping, and I've found that the IC interferes with the coolant overflow bottle. However, it's still a nice setup, IMO. As for radiator, You have a selection- Fluidyne, PHR, Mishimoto, CSF(what I have), Godspeed(Mish. copy/rebadge), etc. Most of these will accept the oem shroud.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
supraguy@aol;1971921 said:
The driftmotion kit is supposed to drop right in, with all the intercooler piping included, as well as a blowoff valve.
"supposed" to drop right in. I and Grandhavi(as well as others, I'm sure) have had fitment issues with the piping, and I've found that the IC interferes with the coolant overflow bottle. However, it's still a nice setup, IMO. As for radiator, You have a selection- Fluidyne, PHR, Mishimoto, CSF(what I have), Godspeed(Mish. copy/rebadge), etc. Most of these will accept the oem shroud.

Thanks for all the info bro! Definitely going to be looking at these kits.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
I have the "drop in" Driftmotion kit and the best way I found to install it was to get the piping sitting where it needed to be FIRST and then put the intercooler in. I first tried it the other way and ran into more problems that way.

If you have a 87-88 car, you can retain the use of your coolant overflow bottle. The 89+ cars can not due to the location of a few A/C components that moved to that side during those years. My 89 of course did not allow it to go there. If you look in my picture here you will see a stainless canister mounted next to the power steering reservoir. I use this universal overflow container and it fit perfectly even using the power steering reservoir bracket.

The picture also shows I upgraded to a genuine Tial BOV as I prefer not to use the knockoff HKS sent from DM. I also used a few different couplers that allow for a little more movement of the piping for a better fit. All in all, it takes a bit of work to make it fit just right.

I also have the Koyo rad that you can see in this picture as well. Works great for me. I've always used the Fluidyne and PWR in the past and they were both great as well.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Make sure you have some extra clamps. The ones in the kit tend to break before you feel comfortable with the seal. I broke two. Same fitment issues the others mentioned.
I have the new DM kit with in and out on same side.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks so much for all the info guys! It will definitely help me greatly.

Now I have another question instead of starting another thread. I've searched on google for an answer bit didn't really find an answer I was looking for.

The question is what gasket kit do you guys recommend for just a head rebuild? I'm just taking off the head and replacing the head gasket but I'd feel a lot safer replacing the other gaskets I touch on the way. Not touching the pistons or block because I know nothing about it.

Thanks in advance.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
faviles;1972669 said:
Thanks so much for all the info guys! It will definitely help me greatly.

Now I have another question instead of starting another thread. I've searched on google for an answer bit didn't really find an answer I was looking for.

The question is what gasket kit do you guys recommend for just a head rebuild? I'm just taking off the head and replacing the head gasket but I'd feel a lot safer replacing the other gaskets I touch on the way. Not touching the pistons or block because I know nothing about it.

Thanks in advance.

I went with Toyota and would again. Especially the head gasket if you're not machining the block. Whatever else you do, don't go MLS without machining the block.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
supranewbie;1972674 said:
I went with Toyota and would again. Especially the head gasket if you're not machining the block. Whatever else you do, don't go MLS without machining the block.

Thank you! I do plan on machining the block sorry I forgot to mention that. A lot of people recommend the MHG if I do. However is there a site where I could purchase a kit with the Toyota gaskets or would I have to purchase them one by one from the dealer?