intake porting

bandit

supra enthusiast
May 16, 2005
southeast missouri
when i got the car, the guy told me he had the intake completly ported and had the throttle body replaced with a bigger one. i took off the intake and it does look like its been ported from the throttle boby to the head by comparison to a stock one. my question is ,should how much of an increase should this makeover stock if any? I know not much can be done to an n/a but every little bit can help, and finally.... what should it be putting out?

it has stock size stainless exhaust with no cat and a flowmaster 40 series muffler,k&n and what is mentioned in this post

thanks

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
that like asking what HP do I get when the 9 planets are aligned and the orion's belt is pointing to the north start. who the hell knows. And on the intake. If they did it wrong you can actually LOSE HP.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Ignore figgie. He appears to be a bad mood today.

Anywhoo.

Your K&N maybe 5hp.
No cat maybe 5hp

Really, you probably won't notice any difference over a stock N/A. Stock N/A's are quoted at 200 hp and 186 lb/ft of torque if I remember correctly.

Get a turbo, its a world of difference over the N/A's.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
has nothing to do with a bad mood. It is a pointless question that none of us can answer or even give a ballpark because there ARE to many variables in the mix. Hence my answer.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
if your on stock exhaust and manifold. it wont be enough of a diff to feel .get a header and 2.5in mandrel bent exhaust with a straight through muffler and that n/a will wake up quite a bit. though, best bang for the buck is going turbo. the stock 7m can be turboed. lots and lots of info on celicasupra.com. same basic mods need done except you already have larger injectors then the 5m so that helps you out alot.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
How long is a piece of string?

I often see answers here of "blah blah mod will give you XX hp"

If you sit and add up all of these a Mk3 would be making 1000 hp, sorry it doesn't work like that in the real world as Figgie said there are too many variables to take into account.

Many years ago I worked as a fabricator on a race team and saw identical motors built by the same guy using identical parts from the same batch make different amounts of HP that no one could explain why.

Theory is all well and good but real world results may vary.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I read an interesting article (maybe it was mentioned on this forum), that compared several air filters. The filtering, and the flow of air. The K&N (and I spent all that $$, too) was equal to the factory and WIX filters. So...why spend $$ on air filter upgrades if your not 'really' gonna get more air flow ??

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
mrnickleye said:
I read an interesting article (maybe it was mentioned on this forum), that compared several air filters. The filtering, and the flow of air. The K&N (and I spent all that $$, too) was equal to the factory and WIX filters. So...why spend $$ on air filter upgrades if your not 'really' gonna get more air flow ??

well, i can tell you for a fact i did notice a diff when i swapped to a k&n on a stock engine. though when youve done other breathing mods as well. it amplifies the effect. now, if you want to run a stock air filter on your car. go for it. i myself will not.