intake manifolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
i just put a gte manifold on my ge, went na-t, and there very similar but not quite the same. i'm still wondering if my vacum lines are hook up right

Chaos_Performance

Aug 21, 2008
Ohio and Mass
well the turbo manifold is less restrictive then the n/a manifold and i was going to modify it to have a big bore throttle body on it. so i was wondering if it had all the same vacuum ports or if some are different due to the turbo??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Less restrictive? The runners are the same size leading to head intake ports that (you guessed it) are the same size, so I'm not too sure where you got that one. You should be able to use the plenum you have.

Are you planning to improve intake flow and add an exhaust header? You will also need a way to increase fuel to match the bigger TB. You need to plan this out.

BTW - We have a NA section here...thread moved.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You'll lose the variable runner that was used on the N/A's, you'll more than likely lose power going with the GTE manifold on an N/A.

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
^ yeah ACIS will be deleted. Unless your going NA-t or Forced Induced , you'll lose the response midrange. I was also contemplating swapping the upper manifold (1/2NA-t), but the TPS will face the wrong way, also there are diffrent output values for the gte and ge TPS. Why do you want to swap manifolds?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mass_jdm_kid;1163732 said:
well the turbo manifold is less restrictive than the n/a manifold and i was going to modify it to have a big bore throttle body on it. so i was wondering if it had all the same vacuum ports or if some are different due to the turbo??

Boy, Toyota just couldn't do anything right with the MA70. It isn't your fault. Where did you read that?

High end 7MGE. I like the idea.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
The turbo manifold will be worse than the N/A Manifold for the N/A because it doesn't have ACIS.....if you don't know what it is, go read about it. It's in the sticky (N/A Upgrade FAQ).

Chaos_Performance

Aug 21, 2008
Ohio and Mass
well by the looks of the the turbo manifold it is straight into the intake ports from the throttle body instead of the long and short runner bull shit. and how could it make it worse its just like adding a new intake manifold from the side. throttle response should increase and give added power. and yes exhaust is coming soon and i will be buying fuel upgrades. i was just wondering if it is going to work or not. but i guess i will have to try it to see if there is a difference. i was also looking into having my friend who does welding and metal fab build me a box style intake manifold that looks like the stock n/a one except just a big box on top of the valve covers with a 90 mm t.b. and long runners to the intake ports.

all of these are ideas as to get the most power out of the motor before i start to save up for my motor rebuild. which i will be working every hp out of the motor and then some my goal is 400 n/a rwhp.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
if you're still refusing to believe that the ACIS helps, go right ahead. and good luck with your hp goals.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The turbo manifold uses the same lower runners as the NA iirc.

Good luck getting 400 HP out of a 3.0L NA motor...I'd like to see the dyno on that one ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, lower manifold is the same.

Here's a thought, why would Toyota make two completely different intakes when it would be cheaper to just make one?

Oh, that's right, PERFORMANCE.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...Toyota did a great job optimizing the NA from the factory. Unless you plan on doing some major modifications (i.e. stroking the motor), 400 HP is pretty much impossible to attain without forced induction. You will do well to get 250-260 HP.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mass_jdm_kid;1164769 said:
well by the looks of the the turbo manifold it is straight into the intake ports from the throttle body instead of the long and short runner bull shit.

You deserve to be informed, you made a fool of yourself. Since it seems you have done some reading on the 5.0, and the short runner manifold, and its upper end power, versus long runners and the high torque, why is having both a problem to you?

and how could it make it worse its just like adding a new intake manifold from the side.

Good luck finding a stock 7MGE in proper running condition these days. If you do, ask the owner if you can do a test. Unplug the vacuum line to air intake control valve, and plug it. Then go drive it. That gives you the open plenum, just like the turbo manifold. My guess is rice boy will love that "kick" at 3500 rpm.

throttle response should increase and give added power.

Throttle response? You mean with a short runner box manifold, the ECU will deliever fuel faster with that slower air velocity? How interesting.

was also looking into having my friend who does welding and metal fab build me a box style intake manifold that looks like the stock n/a one except just a big box on top of the valve covers with a 90 mm t.b. and long runners to the intake ports.

You already have that. Except the retarded 90mm throttle body. Did you just pull that out of thin air, or was it beause you saw supercharged Cobras with 700rwhp with that throttle body, and think you will have the same?

all of these are ideas as to get the most power out of the motor before i start to save up for my motor rebuild. which i will be working every hp out of the motor and then some my goal is 400 n/a rwhp.

Unlike the others, I think it is possible, just not likely. You will spend a ton of money. You need a short block to spin to 9000 RPM, and head and cam timing and lift to support that. Along with very high compression, and stand alone. Check defiant 7m's build thread. He has put in everything you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.