Intake Air Temp sensor placement question

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
ill get some pics tonight, i swapped to GM (bosch) sensors, my car came with some blow off valve hard pipe section, (30cm?) i welded the fitting to that.

its between the intercooler and throttle and after the blow off valve, i welded in a nut with the right thread. im swapping to a front facing manifold soon (just not done yet) so i didnt really want to tap this intake manifold but i will be putting it in my new manifold, weather its the lower runners or upper im not sure, im thinking as close to the head as possible, might use some insulators between the head and intake manifold to reduce heatsoak in that area but i havnt though that far ahead yet.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I originally put mine in the intercooler piping just before the throttle body, above the valve covers, (which would be the 3000 pipe on a stock vehicle) and it heat soaked BADLY at stoplights. I'd see intake temps climb from 65F to over 100F in the 30 seconds or so it takes for a light to change from red to green. Pretty sure that this was an indication of a bad reading instead of actual hot air... among other things when you start moving again, especially when you're not in boost, the intake temp should drop almost instantly and it didn't.

So, I moved it further down the IC pipe, to where it originally went through the fender. This worked well, no more heat soak.

If I were had been running a FFIM, I'd be tempted to put it right into the manifold. I can't see any reason not to.

The pressure sensor was easy... I pulled out the stock boost sensor and popped it on there. It even mounted to the same bracket with minimal mucking about.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
GrimJack;1529629 said:
I originally put mine in the intercooler piping just before the throttle body, above the valve covers, (which would be the 3000 pipe on a stock vehicle) and it heat soaked BADLY at stoplights. I'd see intake temps climb from 65F to over 100F in the 30 seconds or so it takes for a light to change from red to green. Pretty sure that this was an indication of a bad reading instead of actual hot air... among other things when you start moving again, especially when you're not in boost, the intake temp should drop almost instantly and it didn't.

So, I moved it further down the IC pipe, to where it originally went through the fender. This worked well, no more heat soak.

If I were had been running a FFIM, I'd be tempted to put it right into the manifold. I can't see any reason not to.

The pressure sensor was easy... I pulled out the stock boost sensor and popped it on there. It even mounted to the same bracket with minimal mucking about.

Thanks to all of you for giving me the information I need. One last question to Grim Jack, though. Ddd you actually put the sensor in the engine compartment, or in the fender well? Thanks again.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
In the engine compartment. I wasn't *that* concerned... not to the point that I'd be willing to deal with the wiring / assembly / disassembly for a sensor outside the engine bay.

Furthermore, my IC pipes don't go through the fender anymore, they go through the snorkel hole behind the headlight.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
As promised.

p1530668_1.jpg