Intake advice needed

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
hey guys.
I'll admit I haven't had much time for my supra in the past year or so. that and i'm in the lower percent with under hood knowledge.
sure wish i grew up around car mechanics.

so, i bought an alternator and a k&n off of slow supra a little while ago. thankfully, today was nice, and i had a chance to install.

the alternator was pretty easy to install, as i expected.
however, i came to find that the k&n filter and hoses are for a larger turbo than the stock one i have. not really a big deal, since i figured i could just find an adapter.

now, for my major problem. while i was working with all of this, the hose that leads right up to the turbo had been cracking and it completely broke all the way around with just a slight tug on the hose.

p805325_1.jpg

it's kinda hard to see, the turbo is in the middle of the picture. hose leading up to the 3000 pipe is the large one in the foreground on left.

here's the stuff i got from slow supra

p805325_2.jpg

and how my engine bay looks right now, with his old alternator installed

p805325_3.jpg

so, what do i need to do to get everything working? i'm on a tight budget, especially wanting to buy that 87 n/a i found at the dealership. i'm up for buying whatever any of you guys have available, as long as it makes what i have work. i can tell that his k&n system removes the afm, and i don't know much about that. what is needed to be able to do that?

sorry for the newbness. i searched, but most results were for sale threads.
thanks in advance

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Okay, sorry to tell you but that you have to keep the AFM on the car unless you plan on using a piggyback that will allow you to run speed density. And since you say you're on a tight budget, then I assume that is a no go. If your accordian hose is cracked then you will need to replace it. They are around 30 bucks from toyota.

Next time I would do the research before you buy something and end up not being able to use it.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Looks like the hose leading to the 3000 pipe is broken at the clamp as well? Is that stainless piece supposed to replace the accordion tube from the turbo to the AFM?
Driftmotion(http://store.driftmotion.com/index.php?sid=14684605c1312e&category_id_int=141 at the bottom of the page) sells reducer silicone couplers. Looks like you need to get an afm adapter to run that filter as well. Think the dryer hose(Sure looks like it, hunh?) is so that you can mount the filter pretty much anywhere you want.

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
thanks cuel. the 3000 hose is fine. it just had something wet on it.
the dryer hose is for placing the cone where i want

this was the engine bay slow supra had:
p805467_1.jpg

i didn't know he was going to send the hoses that he did; just the k&n cone.
so, since i have them, i might as well use them if i can, which is what i'm asking what all i'd need to make it work. otherwise, i was just going to search for an adapter for the end of my AFM to the K&N.