Instrument cluster upgrade

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Has anyone fitted another cluster into their dash? Ither than stack or aim? Id like to try something oem. I was thinking of using either an altezza cluster a corolla xrs cluster( I have an xrs and love the dash) and lastly an s2000 cluster. I would install it like everyone else installs their aim or stack dashes by making a blqnk plate and fitting the new cluster to that. Has anyone done this before, what do you all think will look the best and if there's any other clusters you think look nice and will flow well with the mk3 let me know. I will try and do a photoshop.. but in the meantime if anyone else wants to photoshop something please do!

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
aefd5059-e2f0-3927.jpg
different altezza dashes.. I like the one with the tach in the middle.

aefd5059-e421-fc06.jpg

S2000

aefd5059-e438-853a.jpg

Xrs

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Can't say I've seen anything other than Motec dashes swapped into our cars. I'd love an Altezza dash for the Mk2, it would be more suited to the Mk2 than the Mk3... I think it would look out of place in a Mk3. However, the s2000 dash on the other hand... that could work, depending on size.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I read somwhere that the Altezza cluster uses a different type of imput for things like oil pressure, in such a way that a normal sensor would not make the gauge function properly. Its more electronic based than our old school clusters.

I would like to see the S2000 cluster incorporated along with a couple other gauges, it would resemble the J spec cars that had the digi dash.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
I cant find a altezza with a center tach like i wanted..I just made a template and the s2k dash will look perrty nice... not so much worried about oil pressure on the cluster I have a defi boost watertemp and oil pressure gauges ill be adding..

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Well I just won an ap1 s2k cluster from ebay. If anyone wants me to do a write up let me know and ill make this a progressivism thread..

antigram

May 30, 2010
breda
I've put a s2000 cluster in my cr-x once and as far as i can remember, getting the s2000 cluster working would be ok. Most of it can just be connected straight from the supra wires as the signals are the same. you need some speed pulse converter though to get the speed sensor working properly and i think there was something with the water temp sensor, but i could check it out for you if you want...

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
antigram;1763830 said:
I've put a s2000 cluster in my cr-x once and as far as i can remember, getting the s2000 cluster working would be ok. Most of it can just be connected straight from the supra wires as the signals are the same. you need some speed pulse converter though to get the speed sensor working properly and i think there was something with the water temp sensor, but i could check it out for you if you want...

I've been doing some researching... but if you got some info please share.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
kinda odd to have 9krpm but u only redline at 6500. just my thought as i always hated cars that have more rpm then the car can redline.. welps..subscribed.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Big thing to watch out for would be any car that used CAN-BUS. On those some of the gauge signals usually come to the cluster on a serial data line from either the PCM or BCM, so there would be no way to easily wire them into our car, since our car predates CAN-BUS by a decade or two.

Probly get some crap for linking to this, but it's info that might come in handy for dealing with the S2K cluster.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2825633

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Mynes_3;1763900 said:
kinda odd to have 9krpm but u only redline at 6500. just my thought as i always hated cars that have more rpm then the car can redline.. welps..subscribed.

Not going to be odd at all! I have a 2j and will be limiting it at 7500ish.. plus I am going to do a led conversion so I can put the "redline" anywhere!
I was going to get an ap2 cluster cause the lower red line but don't like the looks of them compared to the ap1.
http://www.qube-engineering.com/Referenced/AP1GaugeCluster-Multicolor03.JPG

Anyways this is happening now! Should I keep all updates here or make a new thread?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprastupid;1763764 said:
Well I just won an ap1 s2k cluster from ebay. If anyone wants me to do a write up let me know and ill make this a progressivism thread..
Hey, better to have thread detailing the build for a couple reasons:
-it is easier to get help and pointers from the experts, and
-there's evidence it's been done, so there aren't so many "a friend of mine did this" or "there was a guy who did it" references in threads of this nature in the future...

destrux;1763902 said:
Probly get some crap for linking to this, but it's info that might come in handy for dealing with the S2K cluster.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2825633
I don't see why you'd catch flak for posting that. Good info is good info.

suprastupid;1764308 said:
Anyways this is happening now! Should I keep all updates here or make a new thread?

I would start a new thread and link it in here, maybe put it in the 'builds' section? That's what I would do anyway. :)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
very interested in a writeup!

im not too interested in using the s2's cluster, but wiring pinouts and converters and such is what id like to get out of it. who knows, maybe if i see it installed in a mk3 dash ill change my mind. i just think itll look out of place. i def want something different than stock though, and if i can free up some realestate on the right side thatd be a perfect place to stick a piggy back, gauges, gps or whatever else your brains come up with.

go for it, i gotta see it to believe it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprajztwenty;1764523 said:
i def want something different than stock though, and if i can free up some realestate on the right side thatd be a perfect place to stick a piggy back, gauges, gps or whatever else your brains come up with.

Although I believe that finding your way out of being lost is half the fun of driving in a strange place, an in-cluster GPS would be kinda neat.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Started a new thread for the s2k dash in the build section. All info an progress will be posted there.